What Is Pluto? Can We Live There?

• Thread starter FreeWill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pluto
In summary, - Pluto is the only known planet which cannot be placed in the terrestrial versus gas-giant planet classification -- it is small, but not very dense.- Some people think that Pluto and Charon share an atmosphere, but it only happens when the atmosphere isn't frozen.- We don't know a lot about Pluto, but it's probably a large comet or asteroid.
FreeWill
What exactly is Pluto? It says "Pluto is the only known planet which cannot be placed in the terrestrial versus gas-giant planet classification -- it is small, but not very dense." What does that mean? We couldn't live on gas planets because there's no surface there right? But could we live on Pluto? How much do we know about Pluto?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
moved :smile:

FreeWill said:
What exactly is Pluto? It says "Pluto is the only known planet which cannot be placed in the terrestrial versus gas-giant planet classification -- it is small, but not very dense." What does that mean? We couldn't live on gas planets because there's no surface there right? But could we live on Pluto? How much do we know about Pluto?

What this means is that the terrestrial planets, are small and dense because they are mostly made form rock. The low density of Pluto suggests that it contains little or no rock and just might be composed of various ices. There is some argument that Pluto shouldn't even be considered a planet at all but is just the largest member of the Kuiper belt, which consists of like icey bodies.

on wikipedia it says that it and Charon, it's sattalite, share the same atmosphere, and sometimes the atmosphere will freeze and it will form a single icy body

It's very evident that Pluto is not akin to any other of the 8 other planets, so I prefer to call it a minor planet

I also think that is probable that in the future some object bigger than Pluto will be found in the Kuiper Belt (Sedna and Quaoar have been close to the mark)

hexhunter said:
...and sometimes the atmosphere will freeze and it will form a single icy body

Er..What? No, this isn't correct. I think you must have read it wrong

Hexhunter said:
on wikipedia it says that it and Charon, it's sattalite, share the same atmosphere, and sometimes the atmosphere will freeze and it will form a single icy body.
Adrian Baker said:
Er..What? No, this isn't correct. I think you must have read it wrong
I got to say, that's the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

BRB

OK, it does say this:
"It is thought by some that Pluto shares its atmosphere with its moon."
but nothing about a single solid body. Maybe he was misunderstanding this:
"Pluto and Charon are also unusual among planets in that they are tidally locked to each other."

Last edited:
Well, the article also says (correctly) that the atmosphere freezes regularly.

What it fails to clarify is that if Pluto and Charon do share an atmosphere, then it would only be shared when the atmosphere is not frozen.

How much do we know about Pluto?

an introduction...
http://www.seds.org/billa/tnp/pluto.html

it should have gone to the general astrology

that was a typo right? :cry:

What it fails to clarify is that if Pluto and Charon do share an atmosphere, then it would only be shared when the atmosphere is not frozen.

Thanks for clarifying that Pete!
When Pluto's atmosphere freezes, it falls to the ground as a kind of snow (not water-snow, of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
Phobos said:
an introduction...
http://www.seds.org/billa/tnp/pluto.html

I think that article pretty much sums up my feelings about Pluto. If it were only discovered today, I think we'd classify it as a large comet/asteroid (as Sedna probably will be), but since it's been officially labeled a planet for the last 75 years, why bother changing it now. It would just create too much confusion. Although, I have to admit it *would* be fun to watch the numerologists and astrologers squirm. :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the current classification of Pluto?

Pluto is currently classified as a dwarf planet, according to the International Astronomical Union (IAU) definition. It was previously considered the ninth planet in our solar system, but was reclassified in 2006 due to its small size and inability to clear its orbit of other objects.

2. Can we live on Pluto?

No, it is not currently possible for humans to live on Pluto. It is extremely cold, with an average surface temperature of -400°F (-240°C), and has a thin atmosphere made mostly of nitrogen and methane. It also lacks a solid surface to stand on, as it is mostly made up of rock and ice.

3. Is there any evidence of life on Pluto?

There is currently no evidence of life on Pluto. Its harsh and inhospitable environment makes it unlikely for any form of life to exist there. However, scientists continue to study and explore the dwarf planet in case there are any potential habitats or signs of microbial life.

4. What is the distance between Earth and Pluto?

The distance between Earth and Pluto varies depending on their positions in their orbits around the Sun. On average, it is about 3.67 billion miles (5.9 billion kilometers) away from Earth. At its closest approach, it can be about 2.66 billion miles (4.28 billion kilometers) away, and at its farthest, it can be about 4.67 billion miles (7.5 billion kilometers) away.

5. Has Pluto ever been visited by a spacecraft?

Yes, NASA's New Horizons spacecraft flew by Pluto in 2015, providing the first close-up images and data of the dwarf planet. It discovered mountains, glaciers, and a thin atmosphere, among other features. No other spacecraft has visited Pluto since then, but scientists are planning future missions to further study this distant world.