Marketing: how many brands are there?

• Thread starter jimmie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marketing
In summary: Stumptown Coffee8. Timberland9.) Levi's10.) Harley DavidsonIn summary, there are approximately 5 million brands on the planet.
jimmie
Marketing: how many "brands" are there?

The word "brand" is used so often in so many fields of interest, I would like to know exactly how many "brands" you think there are on the planet.

I am using the noun form of the word "brand", as opposed to 'branding' an object. Let's begin first with a common definition of a "brand": that word, or distinguishing mark, used to represent each particular product, and that word or mark may be represented in a graphical "logo".

I think you know what a company logo is.

Now, think of each particular product that currently exists on the planet, including: all types of products, within all price ranges, all levels of quality, within all industries, in all geographical areas.

All products everywhere right now.

Post your answer with either the exact number (if you are aware of that exact number), a minimum number that you 'guestimate', or a range of numbers, ie: 5,000-10,000.

And you should know, I have done my research and am aware of the exact number. o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean brand as opposed to manufacturer (ie: Chev and Buick as 2 brands rather than just General Motors as 1), I would suspect that it's somewhere between 4-5 million.

hmmm more than that. Worldwide? Many million, definitely.

Many million, definitely.

C'mon, that reply is not much fun.

lets see some guestimates, or ranges in increments of 1,000.

Hmm... well if we consider how long printing has been around...

then consider how many small corporations that never go anywhere exist...

and logo and design changes throughout the years...

I would say 7?

I'll start an enumeration sub-thread, and then we can count up as we go:
1. General Motors

I need help on the sub-thread, guys!
I'll provide one more:
2. Norsk Hydro

3) Lou's Custom Radiators, Ny, Ny.

jimmie, the estimates would have to be in millions, many, many millions.

4.)Bag Balm

5.) El Monterey

jimmie, the estimates would have to be in millions, many, many millions.

how do you know that?

P.S. feeling overwhelmed?

Well, since most companies trademark their brands, you could get a rough estimate by finding out how many current trademarks exist internationally.

according to wired the US patent office stated that there were 160,000 "trademarks" in the US.

Pengwuino said:
5.) El Monterey
We're closing in! :smile:

6. Peppe's Pizza

1. How is a brand defined in marketing?

A brand in marketing is a name, term, design, symbol, or any other feature that identifies a specific product or service of a company. It is what sets a company's products or services apart from those of its competitors.

2. How many brands are there in the market?

It is difficult to determine the exact number of brands in the market as it is constantly changing and new brands are constantly emerging. However, it is estimated that there are millions of brands worldwide.

3. What factors contribute to the creation of a brand?

There are several factors that contribute to the creation of a brand, including the company's mission and values, the target market, the product or service being offered, and the company's marketing strategies.

4. How important is branding in marketing?

Branding is crucial in marketing as it helps to differentiate a company's products or services from its competitors, creates brand loyalty and recognition, and can influence consumer purchasing decisions.

5. Can a company have multiple brands?

Yes, a company can have multiple brands. In fact, many companies have several brands under their umbrella, each catering to a different target market or offering a different product or service. This allows the company to reach a wider audience and diversify their offerings.