Are Barbie Clothes Really Worth the Hype and High Price Tag?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, when a teen or 20-something is carrying an Anya Hindmarch, Barbie bag it'll reinforce Barbie as relevant, cool brand for little girls. Little girls are growing up faster than ever and looking to adults and teens for inspiration, and Barbie is their aspiration. The items aren't cheap, with jeans priced at $176 and a 3/4 sleeve hooded sweatshirt at $140, and this helps add to the cachet of the brand, which is designed to be "aspirational."
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
There truly is no hope for this world is there?

"When a teen or 20-something is carrying an Anya Hindmarch, Barbie bag it'll reinforce Barbie as relevant, cool brand for little girls," said Dickson. "Little girls are growing up faster than ever and looking to adults and teens for inspiration, and Barbie is their aspiration."

The items aren't cheap, with jeans priced at $176 and a 3/4 sleeve hooded sweatshirt at $140, and this helps add to the cachet of the brand, which is designed to be "aspirational."
:bugeye:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051015/bs_nm/manufacturing_mattel_dc

I don't even know who Anya Hindmarch is, nor do I care.

I can't believe that there are people out there this stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like an okay idea to me...

Maybe Mattel needs to pay attention to this line:
Weak sales of Barbie dolls, a lackluster retail environment, and strong competition have hurt Mattel recently.
Gee, could it be that Barbie is a bit past her prime? If the 20 and 30 somethings aren't buying Barbies for their kids, do you think they're going to want to dress like a Barbie doll themselves? :rolleyes: Well, I guess Paris Hilton would wear the stuff they described.

A while back, I saw this show on tv on barbie woman. She had surgery after surgery to transform herself into a human barbie doll. I've heard the same for Ken too.

laminatedevildoll said:
A while back, I saw this show on tv on barbie woman. She had surgery after surgery to transform herself into a human barbie doll. I've heard the same for Ken too.
I've known a few Kens who surgically transformed themselves into Barbies. But then again, I live close to West Hollywood, CA. :biggrin:

You need to wear a corset and have your kidneys removed to fit into one of the jackets, so I hear.

You have to have your lower ribs removed also.

Perhaps you could use them to make the corset...

matthyaouw said:
Perhaps you could use them to make the corset...
Now you're thinking! What could be more natural? :bugeye:

It'd save the hassle of getting one custom-fitted...

Might those ribs also be used to make a younger Eve (or two)? Or how about a Young Adam?

The reader will note that I said Eve, not Evo -- Evo is 4ever young.

EnumaElish said:
The reader will note that I said Eve, not Evo -- Evo is 4ever young.
<sticks GOOBF card into a wise EE's computer> :wink:

Humans are normally about 7 heads tall. Barbie is about 11 heads tall (if I remember correctly). Also,

If Barbie was 5 foot 6 instead of 11 1/2 inches tall, her measurements, would be 39-21-33. An academic expert once calculated that a woman's likelihood of being shaped like Barbie was less than 1 in 100,000. (Ken was shaped somewhat more realistically: The chances of a boy developing his measurements were said to be 1 in 50.)
http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/story081.htm"

Wouldn't mind meeting that girl. She'd be bizzarre looking. Tiny head and waist and big in several other places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
<sticks GOOBF card into a wise EE's computer> :wink:
yeah, you're not that youg..wait I mean youthful-no old! :uhh: :smile:

1. What materials are typically used to make Barbie clothes for women?

Most Barbie clothes for women are made from synthetic materials such as polyester, nylon, and spandex. These materials are lightweight, flexible, and easy to care for, making them ideal for creating miniature versions of fashionable outfits.

2. Are Barbie clothes for women made to fit realistic human proportions?

No, Barbie clothes for women are not made to fit realistic human proportions. They are designed to fit the iconic Barbie doll, which has exaggerated proportions and a smaller waist compared to the average woman.

3. Can Barbie clothes for women be worn by real people?

Technically, yes, some Barbie clothes for women can be worn by real people. However, they are not designed or sized for adult women and may not fit properly. They are meant for collectors or for display on miniature mannequins.

4. Are there different sizes available for Barbie clothes for women?

No, there are no different sizes available for Barbie clothes for women. They are all made to fit the standard Barbie doll, which is approximately 11.5 inches tall. However, some brands may offer variations in clothing styles and cuts for different body types of Barbie dolls.

5. Can Barbie clothes for women be customized or altered?

Yes, Barbie clothes for women can be customized or altered. Some collectors enjoy creating their own unique outfits for their Barbie dolls by sewing, gluing, or painting on new designs or decorations. However, altering the clothes may affect their ability to fit on the standard Barbie doll.

Back