Temperature and frequency in an organ pipe

In summary: So, \lambda = \frac{v}{f} = \frac{331 + 0.6T}{f}In summary, to produce a note of frequency f_F in an organ pipe that is open at one end and closed at the other, the pipe must have a length of L = \frac{1}{4}\frac{v_s}{f_F} at a temperature of T. The speed of sound, v_s, varies with temperature according to the formula v_s = 331 + 0.6T, where T is in °C and v_s is in m/s. To find the wavelength of the note, use the equation \lambda = \frac{v_s}{f_F}.
erik-the-red
Information:

The frequency of the note [tex]{\rm F}_4[/tex] is [tex]f_F[/tex].

1. If an organ pipe is open at one end and closed at the other, what length must it have for its fundamental mode to produce this note at a temperature of T? The speed of sound is [tex]v_s[/tex].

I used the equation [tex]f_n = \frac{nv}{4L}[/tex]. Plugging in known values resulted in [tex]L = \frac{1}{4}\frac{v_s}{f_F}[/tex]. This is correct.

2. At what air temperature will the frequency be f? (Ignore the change in length of the pipe due to the temperature change.)

I have no idea how to start this.

Physics news on Phys.org
will the frequency be f? What's the value of f?

I know the speed of sound varies at different temperatures. Our book/teacher never gave us a formula though. Velocity of sound is given by v = sqrt(B/rho). Where B is the bulk modulus of air and rho is the density. So if you can figure out how B and rho varie with temperature you should get somewhere.

Maybe someone else can help further...

You're right about temperature affecting velocity; my book made explicit mention of that.

But, it, too gave no formula for this type of problem in the respective section.

I asked my professor and he gave an equation where frequency is 331 + 0.6T.

I tried this, but was unsuccessful.

How do I get wavelength from this?

1. What is the relationship between temperature and frequency in an organ pipe?

The relationship between temperature and frequency in an organ pipe is described by the formula: f = (nv)/2L, where f is the frequency, n is the harmonic number, v is the speed of sound, and L is the length of the pipe. This means that as the temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases, resulting in a higher frequency.

2. How does temperature affect the pitch of an organ pipe?

As mentioned before, temperature has a direct impact on the frequency of an organ pipe. This means that as the temperature changes, the pitch of the sound produced by the pipe will also change. Higher temperatures result in a higher pitch, while lower temperatures result in a lower pitch.

3. Why is it important to consider temperature when tuning an organ pipe?

Temperature is an important factor to consider when tuning an organ pipe because it directly affects the pitch of the pipe. If the temperature changes, the pitch of the pipe will also change, making it necessary to adjust the tuning accordingly to maintain the desired pitch.

4. How does the material of the organ pipe affect its response to temperature changes?

The material of the organ pipe can affect its response to temperature changes in several ways. For example, metals tend to expand and contract more with changes in temperature compared to wood, which can affect the overall size and shape of the pipe. This can result in changes to the pitch and frequency of the sound produced.

5. Can temperature also affect the volume of sound produced by an organ pipe?

Yes, temperature can also affect the volume of sound produced by an organ pipe. As the temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases, resulting in a louder sound. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the speed of sound decreases, resulting in a softer sound. This is why organ pipes may need to be tuned not only for pitch, but also for volume in different temperature conditions.