Poster Hanging on Brick Wall: Best Techniques

• Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poster Wall
In summary, the conversation discusses different options for attaching a poster to a brick wall. The person suggests using clear sealant, drilling holes and using concrete or drywall anchors, using PVA glue (but it may damage the poster), or sanding the area under the poster to create a smoother surface. It is also mentioned that bricks absorb moisture, which can cause tape to lose its hold. The conversation also mentions using an adhesive putty as a possible solution.
Physics is Phun
so I have a brick wall in my room I want to put a poster on. it's the regular small house brick, a chimney to be exact. I've used sticky tack and tape. both hold for a bit and let go after a couple weeks.
what would you use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is Phun said:
so I have a brick wall in my room I want to put a poster on. it's the regular small house brick, a chimney to be exact. I've used sticky tack and tape. both hold for a bit and let go after a couple weeks.
what would you use?
Would you be able to put some clear sealant over the brick at the spots where you would attach the poster? I would suggest brushing the brick first to remove any grit or dust. Once you have a non-porous surface, the sticky tack should hold.

Last edited:
You can also drill holes into the bricks and install concrete or drywall anchors. Mount a solid board of some sort using those, and stick your poster to the board.

pva glue should work but it may damage the poster when you come to take it down.

Sand the area down under the poster so that it is nice and smooth.

Bricks suck up moisture, that's why the tape is getting lose.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Bricks suck up moisture, that's why the tape is getting lose.
Yeah, always keep your tape good and wet.

Mk said:
Yeah, always keep your tape good and wet.

More than a few 'ban-worthy' responses to that come to mind... :uhh:

Have you tried any of the adhesive puttys that are out there? I think 3M makes the stuff I have seen before.

1. How do I hang a poster on a brick wall without damaging it?

There are a few techniques you can use to hang a poster on a brick wall without causing damage. One option is to use adhesive strips or hooks specifically designed for use on brick walls. Another option is to use a poster frame with mounting hardware that can be attached to the wall. You can also use a combination of adhesive strips and poster corners to secure the poster to the wall without damaging it.

2. What is the best way to position a poster on a brick wall?

The best way to position a poster on a brick wall is to use a level to ensure it is straight, and then use a tape measure to make sure it is centered on the wall. If you are hanging multiple posters, you can use a laser level to ensure they are all lined up evenly.

3. Can I use tape to hang a poster on a brick wall?

It is not recommended to use tape to hang a poster on a brick wall, as it may not provide enough support and can damage the poster or the wall. However, if you do choose to use tape, make sure it is specifically designed for use on brick walls and test it on a small area first to ensure it does not damage the wall.

4. How do I prevent my poster from falling off a brick wall?

To prevent your poster from falling off a brick wall, make sure you are using the appropriate hanging method for the weight of your poster. If using adhesive strips or hooks, make sure they are secure and follow the weight guidelines. If using a frame, make sure it is properly mounted on the wall. You can also use a small amount of museum putty or poster corners to further secure the edges of the poster to the wall.

5. How can I remove a poster from a brick wall without damaging it?

To remove a poster from a brick wall without damaging it, gently pull the poster away from the wall at the corners or edges. If using adhesive strips or hooks, carefully follow the instructions for removing them without causing damage. If you are using a frame, simply remove the mounting hardware and carefully lift the frame off the wall.