Who Are the Faces Behind Famous Scientific Theories?

• Thread starter benabean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photos
In summary: I'm thinking maybe one from a conference or something.)If that top wasn't there, I would think they're doing something else besides 'pondering'.If you have any photos or even quotes you like please post them here with links if possible.
benabean
Just thought this could be a cool little thread.
When reading over Physics or Maths theories, often getting bogged down in the literature, I love putting a face to the ideas and theories which were often hard to swallow for many of the scientific community at the time. Seeing a picture of the person always gives the 'awe' from theories a little human touch and personally inspires my thirst for knowledge.

If you have any photos or even quotes you like please post them here with links if possible.

I'll start it off with...

1927 Solvay Conference attendees

Physics news on Phys.org
Holy crap, that guy in the way way way left and back looks like HITLER!

PS a lot of theories are named after people that did NOT invent them!

Cyrus said:
Holy crap, that guy in the way way way left and back looks like HITLER!
That would be Debye.

There was a recent article about Debye (a year or two ago) in Physics Today, that claimed that he was a passive instrument of Nazi regulations that banned Jews from University positions, and that Einstein lobbied against him, when he came to the US in the '40s.

Gokul43201 said:
That would be Debye.

There was a recent article about Debye (a year or two ago) in Physics Today, that claimed that he was a passive instrument of Nazi regulations that banned Jews from University positions, and that Einstein lobbied against him, when he came to the US in the '40s.

And the Debye Institute at the University of Utrecht recently voted to change its name to something less controversial.

If I was Peter Debye I would have strongly reconsidered my moustache.

Did you notice that most of them have little or no hair at all

AhmedEzz said:
Did you notice that most of them have little or no hair at all
Their shoes all look identical as well

Heisenberg looks like he's up to something! (Last row, towards the right.)

do you think that they are arranged from the first to the last row, as order of their recognition and contribution??

When I see Pauli at that age, I think "Addams Family"

Feynman's blackboard on the day he died; 15 Feb 1988

Link

benabean said:
Feynman's blackboard on the day he died; 15 Feb 1988

Link

"What I cannot create, I do not understand"

lisab said:
Heisenberg looks like he's up to something! (Last row, towards the right.)

he and Freud :confused:(middle back row dark beard) are the only ones who look happy too

Curie needs to lay off the radium... She look more manly than half the other people there.

You want photos of physicists? Here you go.

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~jr/physlist.html

turbo-1 said:
You want photos of physicists? Here you go.

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~jr/physlist.html

bohrpaul.jpg

Bohr & Pauli pondering over a spinning top 35kB

if that top wasn't there, I would think they're doing something else besides 'pondering'

Bohr & Pauli pondering over a spinning top 35kB
(the link is down in the section called 'Clusters of Physicists'

Since this thread is here, does anyone know of a picture showing Rutherford and Einstein together? No, not the Solvay one - actually together.

What are some famous scientists whose photos are commonly seen?

Some famous scientists whose photos are commonly seen include Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, and Stephen Hawking.

Why are photos of famous scientists important?

Photos of famous scientists serve as a visual representation of their contributions to the scientific community and help to humanize their work.

Where can I find photos of famous scientists?

Photos of famous scientists can be found in various sources such as books, online databases, and museums dedicated to science and history.

What can we learn from photos of famous scientists?

Photos of famous scientists can provide insights into their personal lives, their work environments, and the time periods in which they lived and worked.

Are there any famous scientists whose photos are not widely known?

Yes, there are many lesser-known scientists whose photos may not be widely known. However, their contributions to science are just as important and should not be overlooked.