Need help taking partial derivatives

In summary, the function is:Q= 5.9863 CD^2\left[\frac{\Delta P}{\rho(1-\beta^4)}\right]^{0.5}Q_P= 2(5.9863) CD\left[\frac{\Delta P}{\rho(1-\beta^4)}\right]^{0.5}Q_{\Delta P}= 0.5 (5.9863) CD^2\left[\frac{1}{\Delta P\rho(1-\beta^4)}\right]^{0.5}Q_{\rho}= -0.5(5.9863)
paul2001
Hello everyone,

I am trying to take partial derivatives of the following equation and I am having difficulties. The partial derivatives are of Q w.r.t D, ΔP, ρ, and w. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Paul

Attachments

• Airflow Equation.JPG
    Airflow Equation.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
paul2001 said:
Hello everyone,

I am trying to take partial derivatives of the following equation and I am having difficulties. The partial derivatives are of Q w.r.t D, ΔP, ρ, and w. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Paul
The function is
[tex]Q= 5.9863 CD^2\left[\frac{\Delta P}{\rho(1-\beta^4)}\right]^{0.5}[/tex]

As a function of D, that is just D2 and the derivitive of that is 2D.
[tex]Q_P= 2(5.9863) CD\left[\frac{\Delta P}{\rho(1-\beta^4)}\right]^{0.5}[/tex]

As a function of [itex]\Delta P[/itex], that is just [itex](\Delta P)^{0.5}[/itex] and the derivative of that is [itex]0.5(\Delta P)^{-0.5}[/itex]
[tex]Q_{\Delta P}= 0.5 (5.9863) CD^2\left[\frac{1}{\Delta P\rho(1-\beta^4)}\right]^{0.5}[/tex]

As a function of [itex]\rho[/itex] it is [itex]1/\rho^{0.5}= \rho^{-0.5}[/itex] and the derivative of that is [itex]-0.5\rho^{-1.5}[/itex]
[tex]Q_{\rho}= -0.5(5.9863) CD^2\left[\frac{\Delta P}{\rho^3(1-\beta^4)}\right]^{0.5}[/tex]

I do not see any "w" in the formula so the derivative with respect to "w" would be 0!

There is a "C" that you did not mention.
[tex]Q_C= 5.9863 D^2\left[\frac{\Delta P}{\rho(1-\beta^4)}\right]^{0.5}[/tex]

There is also a "[itex]\beta[/itex] in the formula. That's a little more complicated because the function involves [itex](1- \beta^4)^{-0.5}[/itex] and the derivative of that, by the chain rule, is [itex]-0.5(1- \beta^4)^{-1.5}(-4\beta^3)= 2(1- \beta^4)^{-1.5}\beta^3[/itex]
[tex]Q_{\beta}= 2(5.9863) CD^2\beta^3\left[\frac{\Delta P}{\rho(1-\beta^{12}}\right]^{0.5}[/tex]

Since this has nothing directly to do with differential equations, I am moving it to "Calculus and Analysis".

Just pretend that whatever variable you're not taking the partial derivative with respect to is a constant. For example if you're taking it with respect to B, just treat all of the other variables like constants, and differentiate it the way you would:

[tex]\sqrt{1 - B^4}[/tex]

using the chain rule since everything else is just a constant multiple that isn't going to be impacted by integration.

I have attached the same equation with the appropriate substitutions. The problem I am having is that the equation is iterative so I cannot simply take the partial derivatives without solving for Q. Is there a special approach I can use for this type of derivation? Thank you again.

Paul

Attachments

• Airflow Equation 2.JPG
    Airflow Equation 2.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 431
Well, you don't have to solve for Q, you can use "implict differentiation".

Yeah, just put dQ/dwhateva on both sides and then take it like both sides were the expression.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. Why do we need to take partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are essential in many fields of science and engineering, as they allow us to understand how a function changes in a specific direction and to optimize systems and processes.

3. What is the notation for partial derivatives?

The notation for partial derivatives uses the symbol ∂ to represent the derivative, followed by the variable with respect to which the derivative is taken. For example, ∂f/∂x represents the partial derivative of the function f with respect to the variable x.

4. How do you take a partial derivative?

To take a partial derivative, you follow the same steps as taking a regular derivative, but you treat all other variables as constants. This means you differentiate as usual, but you keep all other variables unchanged.

5. What are some common applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives have many applications in science and engineering, including optimization problems, thermodynamics, economics, and statistics. They are also used in the study of curves and surfaces in geometry.