What do you know about arabs and muslims?

• Thread starter moamen811
  • Start date
In summary: This is a discussion forum, not a source of information. We are not here to reinforce the wrong information that is already out there. Do not post anything before the summary.
moamen811
What do you know about arabs and muslims??

i'm from Egypt and i always hear wrong and bad things about muslims and arabs said in the western media..(especially during Bush's reign)
and i noticed in this forum that most of u know good about us.but i want to know what do u hear and truly believe about us...i guess this will let us to know each other well...so I'm waiting for ur replys...

Physics news on Phys.org

A great deal of Americans are a lot less educated than they think they are. A fine example of the wrongness that exists was the dialog between our Reprublican candidate and an "angry American" who was worried about Obama, who had been rumored to be a secret muslim.

This angry American said (something like) "I don't trust him, I know that he is a... uh...a...an Arab and..."

At this point McCain pulls the microphone away from her, while shaking his head in emphatic disagreement with the point she was about to make, and he said "No ma'am, no that's not true, he is a decent man, a decent, family man."

This is not, obviously, the majority opinion of Americans, who are actually well-educated and moderate.

What do you honestly expect from this thread, page after page of facts and/or praise about arabs/muslims? How is anyone supposed to give you an answer without page after page of facts and figures about the middle east?

Last edited by a moderator:

moamen811 said:
i'm from Egypt and i always hear wrong and bad things about muslims and arabs said in the western media..(especially during Bush's reign)
and i noticed in this forum that most of u know good about us.but i want to know what do u hear and truly believe about us...i guess this will let us to know each other well...so I'm waiting for ur replys...

Obama was elected due in part to the fact that Americans want to reach out to our friends in the Middle East with an open hand, rather than shaking a clenched fist. Obviously not all Americans feel this way, but it is the opinion of the majority. Also, we did need to learn to understand who had attacked us, and why. It took time for people to recognize the difference between the bad guys, and the good guys from the Middle East. Some people take more time to learn the difference than do others. Likewise, we are not the Great Satan. Most Americans want to live in peace.

We have very large populations of people from the Middle East in many areas of the US. I'm sure that a large percentage of us have at least one Middle Eastern friend.

Last edited:

arabian-I suppose they are very devoted to religion

Arab is the captain in Moby Dick and Muslim is a kind of thin cloth

Most muslims are neither arab nor from the Middle East.

Threads that discuss religion are almost never allowed here. I can't imagine that we'd ever allow a "What do you know about Christians?" thread, so I don't think this topic is acceptable either.

edit: That said, some other people here have convinced me that some good points have been made in this thread, and it might be worth salvaging. I am hesitantly re-opening this. Please be respectful to each other and stay on topic.

Last edited:

Cyrus said:
What do you honestly expect from this thread, . . .
Perhaps a thoughtful dialog and discussion.

I spent 3 months partying with a Morrocan guy last summer. Greatest time ever. He's coming out on Sunday to try and find a place near me. Good times.

I used to hang out with two hot arab girls. One from Dubai and the other from Lebanon.

Yes, many of my friends are not from Canada/US. Much better quality people if you open your scope up globally. Current good buddy is from Albania. My girl from Hong Kong.

moamen811 said:

Like what did you hear?

Of the 21 conflicts going on in the world, 15 have a muslim participants. Why?

This thread has some promise. Please do your best to keep it open and productive. Thanks.

Phrak said:
Of the 21 conflicts going on in the world, 15 have a muslim participants. Why?

There are about 45 majority Muslim states with at least a million people. There are about 140 states with at least a million people. So with 21 conflicts, we'd expect maybe 11 or 12 to have one or two Muslim participants. Do you want to argue 15 is significantly more?

moamen811 said:

I was in Egypt last month and for the record, whether arab or muslim or whatever, I found the Egyptian people to be fantastic :smile:

From the videos they post on YouTube, behavior-wise, they seem indistinguishable from everyone else. Diet, dress and various customs are different, like with every other culture. Personally, I like a little flavor in our species. This world would be awfully boring if there was only one culture, language, color, styles...

Well, Arabs are like any other demographic, they have both good and bad people. I have been to Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Oman. Although the culture and traditions are similar, there have slightly different types of food. But I will add that non Arabs are probably the majority in Islam and is practiced by people of varying cultures and demographics. So it would be hard to reply to a question about what I know about Muslims.

Cyrus said:
What do you honestly expect from this thread, page after page of facts and/or praise about arabs/muslims? How is anyone supposed to give you an answer without page after page of facts and figures about the middle east?

i just want a productive conversation to make us know each other well.

Phrak said:
Like what did you hear?

the most thing i hear about muslims from people i talked with them about this subject that muslims are terrorists because they made the 911 attacks..

and i believe that people who made the 911 attacks are not truly muslims because killing innocent people is prohibited in islam and in all religions and belives.

and i also hear that muslims are gays and i don't know why anyone would say somthing like that?

and i would like to thank every one who replied to this topic...

I have met people from several cultures, and empirically I have noted that almost everyone are just "regular people" who just want to live a good life.

Of course certain individuals are ******** or the likes, but in my experience every culture has them.

Last edited by a moderator:

moamen811 said:
and i also hear that muslims are gays and i don't know why anyone would say somthing like that?

The stupidest and most immature of Americans use the epithet "gay" as a general insult. If person doesn't like someone, he says "you're so gay!" If he doesn't like some thing (like a certain cell phone, or shirt, or pencil, really anything)..."that is SO gay!"

moamen811 said:

It is a general belief that in sexually repressive cultures where men tend to be isolated from the women there is a high probability that they will engage in homosexual behavior. I do not know that this true but it is a fairly common idea.

There is also a common idea that men who tend to be homophobic are sexually repressed gays themselves. At one time I think this idea was asserted seriously but currently it tends to be brought up as a joke or insult toward the homophobic.

Cyrus said:

I don't believe Cyrus is thrown out of PF

The main issue is that many things that are taboo in the West is considered acceptable in the Arab culture and visa-versa. The media in either place just needs to report the facts in order to make the other side look bad. They really don't need to make any thing up.

For example, striking one's wife is considered to be the worst thing one can do in the West. It is worse than stealing, it is worse than stripping ones clothes off in public, it is worse than anything short of rape or murder. So when westerners see things like:

http://sheikyermami.com/2009/05/11/saudi-judge-how-to-beat-your-wife-correctly/

They think the Arabs are dogs. The lowest of the low. Worse than anyone.

wildman said:
The main issue is that many things that are taboo in the West is considered acceptable in the Arab culture and visa-versa. The media in either place just needs to report the facts in order to make the other side look bad. They really don't need to make any thing up.

For example, striking one's wife is considered to be the worst thing one can do in the West. It is worse than stealing, it is worse than stripping ones clothes off in public, it is worse than anything short of rape or murder. So when westerners see things like:

http://sheikyermami.com/2009/05/11/saudi-judge-how-to-beat-your-wife-correctly/

But, that is obviously wrong regardless of how you look at it or which culture you are from. It is not worse than rape or murder but is equivalent.

Going naked in public doesn't break any common ethics/morals (i.e. don't hurt others - which are independent of cultural preferences) ..

coverme said:
I don't believe Cyrus is thrown out of PF

It's temporary. He should be back in a couple of weeks.

moamen811 said:
the most thing i hear about muslims from people i talked with them about this subject that muslims are terrorists because they made the 911 attacks...

I must inquire as to your method of interrogation. Are you telling me that you asked "Are all muslims terrorists?" to a bunch of westerners, and they replied in the affirmative? I find that hard to believe.

Perhaps a majority of westerners might be inclined to say that "More hardline Muslims believe that terrorism is an acceptable means to an end, compared to hard-line christians." But I haven't met anyone in the States who would agree with the first statement.

moamen811 said:
and i believe that people who made the 911 attacks are not truly muslims because killing innocent people is prohibited in islam and in all religions and belives.

I'm curious, are you a follower of Islam? What do you think will happen to the 911 attackers when they die?

moamen811 said:

Are these people sober when you talk to them?

moamen811 said:
i want to know what do u hear and truly believe about us

First, arabs and muslims are not equivalent terms. You can be an arab and not be a muslim, and vice versa.

Second, I hear a lot concerning the stereotype that was placed upon your people with the aftermath of 9/11 and other terrorist attacks. Do I believe this stereotype to be true, in general? No. I do believe that a small percentage of muslims are ultra-conservative fundamentalists and that they do seek to terrorize those that oppose their views. This is no different from any other culture or people. It's just an extreme ideology that conflicts with the mainstream view of their culture. In general, I feel that both arabs and muslims have strong morals and seek a benevolent existence, like most of us in the U.S.

Third, I do believe that a large number of mainstream muslims are making the transition to an ultra-conservative fundamentalist view that characterizes terrorist groups. The U.S. and European cultures are predominantly materialistic and liberal, while arab and muslim regions tend to be non-materialistic and conservative, and our continued and growing presence in your regions, both physically and financially, has caused a strong clash of ideologies. As a consequence, muslims/arabs may feel that their cultural values are being dissipated. In turn, they look to their governments, but the governments let the dissolution persist, and so they seek to maintain their culture, values, etc. by joining extremist groups. Hopefully, I am wrong with this conception, so please tell me your thoughts.

moamen811 said:
the most thing i hear about muslims from people i talked with them about this subject that muslims are terrorists because they made the 911 attacks..

No, I don't think anyone truly believes that muslims are terrorists in general. But the terrorists that carried out the 9-11 attacks were all muslim.

There is an extremist element that exists (mainly in Pakistan) and needs to be dealt with or they will continue to kill innocent people. Hopefully the Pakistani people and government can deal with this...

seycyrus said:
Perhaps a majority of westerners might be inclined to say that "More hardline Muslims believe that terrorism is an acceptable means to an end, compared to hard-line christians."

It's unfair competition.
We were official suppliers of terrorism to the British government for over 400 years, organised a civil war that killed 3500, made an entire province un-governable and had the army tied up for 40 years and all the thanks we get is a law saying prince Charles can't marry a catholic.

A few muslims blow up 50 people with a couple of bombs in London and suddenly they are everyones favorite religious extremists. It's just not fair.

TheStatutoryApe said:
There is also a common idea that men who tend to be homophobic are sexually repressed gays themselves. At one time I think this idea was asserted seriously but currently it tends to be brought up as a joke or insult toward the homophobic.

Like a good portion of psychoanalysis, this says something about the analyst, and nothing about the subject.

Remember when bullies had "low self esteem." It was a way for us to belittle the bullies in our past. It was 'feel good' analysis to raise our self esteem.

The very term homophobe is a calculated insult on par with anal retentive and narcissism. Psychoanalysis is anything but devoid of veiled insults.

Last edited:

berkeman said:
It's temporary. He should be back in a couple of weeks.

just out of curiosity, what for?

drizzle said:
just out of curiosity, what for?

Do not question the authority of the PhysForum dieties! Or thou willest be banned thyself!

(Cyrus gets banned every other week for some reason or other. We Plebians(artistic language license) have gotten used to it. He probably told a mentor that they were stupid or something. It is of course conjecture on we Plebians parts.)

As for what I think about arabs and muslims?

I want to know why it isn't Arabs and Muslims?

I skimmed the Quran after 9/11. I was like; "What the hell? Why are they so pissed?" It reminded me of the bible. I actually posted a copy on my website because I like to reference it once in awhile.

I don't know too many Arabs. I do know a second generation gay Persian-American though. But not in the biblical sense of course.

OmCheeto said:
Do not question the authority of the PhysForum dieties! Or thou willest be banned thyself!

(Cyrus gets banned every other week for some reason or other. We Plebians(artistic language license) have gotten used to it. He probably told a mentor that they were stupid or something. It is of course conjecture on we Plebians parts.)

As for what I think about arabs and muslims?

I want to know why it isn't Arabs and Muslims?

I skimmed the Quran after 9/11. I was like; "What the hell? Why are they so pissed?" It reminded me of the bible. I actually posted a copy on my website because I like to reference it once in awhile.

I don't know too many Arabs. I do know a second generation gay Persian-American though. But not in the biblical sense of course.

:rofl: Ahahaha...and, I'm presuming, not in the Koranic sense, either.

Vanadium 50 said:
There are about 45 majority Muslim states with at least a million people. There are about 140 states with at least a million people. So with 21 conflicts, we'd expect maybe 11 or 12 to have one or two Muslim participants. Do you want to argue 15 is significantly more?

No analysis? Or am expected to be gulled by baseless bluster?