Time as a fractional spatial dimension

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the universe having a non-integer number of dimensions, with the idea that time could be the fractional dimension. The concept is explored through equations and theories, but ultimately it is noted that this is largely speculative and more for discussion and criticism rather than personal research. The mention of fractals is also brought up as a way to understand non-integer dimensions.
dimensionless
I've been day dreaming about this idea for a month or two. There are many hypothesises that describe the universe in some higher number of dimensions. As far as I know, this is always an integer number of dimensions.

I've been wondering if it is possible for the universe to have a fractional number of dimensions, say 3.139 dimensions, where there are 3 spatial dimensions plus the 0.139. The 0.139 could be time. It's fractionality would explain why it seems to behave in a different manner than the other dimensions.

The flow of time could actually be the dimensionality of the universe increasing towards four dimensions. In other words, time is inflating into a full dimension. This would also explain why the universe is expanding because

[tex]
distance = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2+t^2} > \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2+(t-\alpha)^2}
[/tex]

and because t is increasing. In reality, time would have to increase at a rate of (if I did my math right)

[tex]t(\tau) = \frac{1}{2}\tau^2[/tex]

to account for linearly expanding space. This leads to a time-dependent distance formula given by

[tex] distance(\tau) = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2+\frac{1}{2}\tau^{2}w^{2}} [/tex]

But this is more in the finer details.

Conversely, it could be that time is actually moving backwards and the dimensionality of the universe is decreasing. This would easily explain the relatively even distribution of matter in the universe. In this case, the perceived expansion of the universe could be some kind of "conservation of space."

I just thought that this was interesting because it unifies space and time, and it also explains why the universe is expanding.

I'm not posting this to the personal research forum because it is largely speculative, and I'm really looking more for comments and criticism.

Space news on Phys.org
What you've written down wouldn't mathematically represent a non-integer number of dimensions. If you want to learn about things with non-integer dimensions, read up on fractals.

The expansion of the universe results in a change in the spatial separation between two points:

[tex]d = \sqrt{x(t+\Delta t)^2 + y(t+\Delta t)^2 + z(t+\Delta t)^2} > \sqrt{x(t)^2 + y(t)^2 + z(t)^2}[/tex]

not the distance you've given.

bapowell said:
The expansion of the universe results in a change in the spatial separation between two points:

[tex]d = \sqrt{x(t+\Delta t)^2 + y(t+\Delta t)^2 + z(t+\Delta t)^2} > \sqrt{x(t)^2 + y(t)^2 + z(t)^2}[/tex]

not the distance you've given.

Sorry. What I meant was (and this is slightly different than my earlier notation):

[tex]d = \sqrt{ {\Delta x}^2 + {\Delta y}^2 + {\Delta z}^2 + \tau {\Delta w}^2} > \sqrt{{\Delta x}^2 + {\Delta y}^2 + {\Delta z}^2 + (\tau-h) {\Delta w}^2}[/tex]

where

[tex]0 \leq \tau \leq 1[/tex]

This is intended to give the distance between two stationary points as a function of time, where the universe is expanding and the number of spatial dimensions n is

[tex]3 < n < 4[/tex]

or

[tex] n = 3 + \tau[/tex]

EDIT:

and the dimensions are x, y, z, and w.

Last edited:
dimensionless said:
Sorry. What I meant was (and this is slightly different than my earlier notation):

[tex]d = \sqrt{ {\Delta x}^2 + {\Delta y}^2 + {\Delta z}^2 + \tau {\Delta w}^2} > \sqrt{{\Delta x}^2 + {\Delta y}^2 + {\Delta z}^2 + (\tau-h) {\Delta w}^2}[/tex]

where

[tex]0 \leq \tau \leq 1[/tex]

This is intended to give the distance between two stationary points as a function of time, where the universe is expanding and the number of spatial dimensions n is

[tex]3 < n < 4[/tex]
What you have written down are three spatial and one time dimension. Those equations do not represent a change in the number of dimensions.

Chalnoth said:
What you've written down wouldn't mathematically represent a non-integer number of dimensions. If you want to learn about things with non-integer dimensions, read up on fractals.

Fractal dimensions require that one redefine the term dimension. I'm trying to use a more classical definition.

dimensionless said:
Fractal dimensions require that one redefine the term dimension. I'm trying to use a more classical definition.
Yes, but all you've done is selected a different choice of coordinates in four dimensions.

I may have been editing my post when you wrote this.

Chalnoth said:
What you have written down are three spatial and one time dimension. Those equations do not represent a change in the number of dimensions.

It is intended to [tex]3+\tau[/tex] spatial dimensions. When [tex]\tau = 1[/tex], there are then 4 spatial dimensions and every molecule and every atom in the universe is ripped apart.

Chalnoth said:
Yes, but all you've done is selected a different choice of coordinates in four dimensions.

But because there are a fractional number of spatial dimensions, there are [tex]3 +\tau[/tex] dimensions being projected on to three. Only when there are four full dimensions x, y, z, and w, will a point have four spatial coordinates.

Last edited:
dimensionless said:
But because there are a fractional number of spatial dimensions, there are [tex]3 +\tau[/tex} dimensions being projected on to three. Only when there are four full dimensions x, y, z, and w, will a point have four spatial coordinates.
Except your line element includes the w coordinate, and thus there are always four spatial coordinates in this scheme.

dimensionless said:
I'm not posting this to the personal research forum because it is largely speculative, and I'm really looking more for comments and criticism.

There is a personal research forum? If so, please let me know where I can find it. Thanks.

If you want non integer dimensions look at fractals. But I do not see what non integer dimensions have to do with time.

1. What is time as a fractional spatial dimension?

Time as a fractional spatial dimension is a concept in physics that suggests that time can be treated as a fourth spatial dimension, similar to the three dimensions of length, width, and height. This idea is based on the theory of relativity and the concept of spacetime.

2. How does time as a fractional spatial dimension differ from traditional views of time?

In traditional views of time, it is considered as a one-dimensional concept that flows in a linear direction and is separate from space. However, in the concept of time as a fractional spatial dimension, time is treated as a fourth dimension that is connected to the three spatial dimensions.

3. What evidence supports the idea of time as a fractional spatial dimension?

One of the main pieces of evidence for time as a fractional spatial dimension is the theory of relativity. This theory suggests that time and space are interconnected and that the measurement of time can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. Additionally, experiments with atomic clocks have shown that time can be affected by gravity and motion, further supporting the concept of time as a spatial dimension.

4. How does the concept of time as a fractional spatial dimension impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of time as a fractional spatial dimension has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It allows for a more comprehensive and unified understanding of space and time, and it has been used in theories such as string theory and the concept of a multiverse. It also challenges traditional ideas of causality and the concept of a singular timeline.

5. Are there any potential applications of the concept of time as a fractional spatial dimension?

While the concept of time as a fractional spatial dimension is still a theoretical concept, it has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and space travel. By understanding the relationship between time and space, scientists may be able to develop new technologies and make breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe.