Did You Know Gmail Has a Smart Attachment Alert Feature?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Google's "Mail Goggles" feature is impressive and useful. You can't send emails at night unless you pass a math test, but you can still undo your send if you press it within 5 seconds.
I was just writing an email a bit ago. I pressed send and google returned with an alert box saying "You typed 'I attached' in your message but there are no attachments in the email. Would you still like to send". That kind of intelligent scanning is really impressive and useful. I did indeed forget the attachment. Instead of sending another email I was able to fix the original. Very cool!

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Wow, nice one.

Not that I use GMail, but I like the idea.

Greg,

That is very cool, look http://news.cnet.com/take-it-back-gmail-gets-undo-send-labs-feature/" , it describes alerting you by not setting an attachment and also let's you "Undo" send if you press it within 5 seconds.

Not much time, but if you put someone or something in an e-mail that you regret, this gives you a chance to back out gracefully, none the worse for wear, so to speak.

There is also a "Mail Goggles" feature that prevents you from sending e-mail in the wee hours of the morning unless you pass a simple math test.

You have to hand it to those Google developers.

Rhody... :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to test this and it didn't work. I sent this test email from gmail to yahoo:

I attached a cool schematic. Take a look at it and tell me what you think. Thanks.

without attaching anything, and it went through.

waht said:
I tried to test this and it didn't work. I sent this test email from gmail to yahoo:

without attaching anything, and it went through.

I just tried it again and it failed. Perhaps this is being tested on a small percentage of emails.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Perhaps this is being tested on a small percentage of emails.

That's probably why. Hopefully there will be an option to enable this feature in the future.

Interesting features(if and when fully implemented)

There have been a few times that I wish I could have taken a email back.

Last year the April fools prank was where you could change the time that the email was sent at, so it looked like you sent an email days before you actually sent it. Pretty funny.

I sent an email saying I attached, didn't work.

It would be an awesome feature to have though!

What is the "Fantastic gmail feature"?

The "Fantastic gmail feature" is a new tool recently added to Gmail that allows users to easily create personalized email templates for frequently sent messages.

How do I access the "Fantastic gmail feature"?

To access the "Fantastic gmail feature," simply open your Gmail account and click on the "Settings" gear icon in the top right corner. Then, select the "See all settings" option and navigate to the "Advanced" tab. You will find the "Fantastic gmail feature" under the "Templates" section.

Can I customize my email templates with the "Fantastic gmail feature"?

Yes, the "Fantastic gmail feature" allows you to fully customize your email templates by adding different fonts, colors, and images. You can also save multiple templates for different types of messages.

Is the "Fantastic gmail feature" available for all Gmail accounts?

Yes, the "Fantastic gmail feature" is available for all Gmail accounts, including personal and business accounts.

How can the "Fantastic gmail feature" benefit me as a scientist?

The "Fantastic gmail feature" can save you time and effort when sending repetitive emails, such as requesting research materials or collaborating with colleagues. It also allows you to maintain a professional and consistent email format for all your communications.