Calculating Work Done by a Confusing Force Function | F=ma, W=Fd

In summary, the homework statement states that the force on a particle is directed along an x-axis and given by F=F_0(\frac {x}{x_0} -1). The work done by the force in moving the particle from x = 0 to x = 2x_0 is W=Fd.
DrummingAtom

Homework Statement

The force on a particle is directed along an x-axis and given by [tex] F = F_0(\frac {x}{x_0} -1) [/tex]. Find the work done by the force in moving the particle from x = 0 to [tex] x = 2x_0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

F=ma, W=Fd, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to interpret that function. Does the [tex] x_0 [/tex] mean the initial position? Does [tex] F_0 [/tex] mean the initial force? I'm so confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DrummingAtom! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
DrummingAtom said:
I don't even know how to interpret that function. Does the [tex] x_0 [/tex] mean the initial position? Does [tex] F_0 [/tex] mean the initial force?

That's right :smile:

a "0" subscript always means a constant (usually the value at t = 0). :wink:

(oh … except in relativity, where x0 means time! :rolleyes: :biggrin:)

I'm still confused on this one. So, if x0 F0 are constants then how would the graph of this function look? Because they want you to graph F(x) before integrating. I mean what do you pick for your constant in a situation like this? I know it's going to be a linear function.

Last edited:
DrummingAtom said:
I'm still confused on this one. So, if x0 F0 are constants then how would the graph of this function look? Because they want you to graph F(x) before integrating. I mean what do you pick for your constant in a situation like this? I know it's going to be a linear function.

It doesn't really matter, as long as x0 is not 0 (otherwise you'll have a divide by zero problem). But if you want to make your life easier, put it on the positive x-axis somewhere. I suggest putting it at x = 1. That way you'll integrate from 0 to 2. But don't label you x-axis with '1' and '2'; rather label you x-axis to go from

0...x0...2x0...3x0...

Now when you consider your graph's labels, you are integrating from 0 to 2x0, as the problem specifies! :cool:

The y-axis is F. So where does F0 fit into your graph? I'll let you do that.

Last edited:

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a clear understanding of the variables and equations involved. In this case, the given force function can be interpreted as follows: x_0 represents the initial position of the particle, and F_0 represents the initial force acting on the particle. The force on the particle is then given by the difference between the current position (x) and the initial position (x_0) multiplied by the initial force (F_0).

To calculate the work done by this force, we can use the equation W=Fd, where F is the force and d is the displacement. In this case, the force function is given in terms of position (x), so we need to find a way to express the displacement in terms of x.

We know that the particle is moving from x=0 to x=2x_0, so the displacement can be written as d=x-0=x. Substituting this into the work equation, we get W=Fx.

Now, we can use the given force function to express F in terms of x. Plugging in F=F_0(\frac {x}{x_0} -1), we get W=F_0(\frac {x}{x_0} -1)x.

To solve for the work, we need to integrate this expression over the interval x=0 to x=2x_0. This will give us the total work done by the force in moving the particle from its initial position to its final position.

In conclusion, while the given force function may seem confusing at first, by carefully interpreting the variables and using the appropriate equations, we can calculate the work done by the force and gain a better understanding of its behavior.

What is a "Confusing Force function"?

A "Confusing Force function" refers to a mathematical function or equation that is difficult to understand or interpret due to its complex nature or lack of clear explanation.

How can a "Confusing Force function" be identified?

A "Confusing Force function" can be identified by analyzing its structure and behavior, and comparing it to other well-defined and understood force functions. Additionally, feedback from other scientists or experts in the field can also help in identifying a "Confusing Force function."

What are the implications of using a "Confusing Force function" in scientific research?

Using a "Confusing Force function" in scientific research can lead to inaccurate results and conclusions, as well as hinder the progress and understanding of a particular field of study. It can also make it difficult for other scientists to replicate or build upon the research.

How can a "Confusing Force function" be simplified or improved?

One way to simplify or improve a "Confusing Force function" is to break it down into smaller, more manageable components and analyze each part separately. Collaborating with other experts in the field can also help in finding ways to simplify or improve the function.

Are there any tools or resources available for understanding "Confusing Force functions"?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available for understanding "Confusing Force functions," such as textbooks, online tutorials, and software programs. Consulting with other scientists or attending conferences and workshops can also provide valuable insights and understanding of these functions.