Diode -> Plug conversion help.

• Thread starter Zazuba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, you should not attempt to plug a fluorescent lamp into an outlet using a diode. You also need to be careful when working with electricity and do not attempt to light the lamp using a plug-pack (wall wart).
Zazuba
So I have this lighting fixture that I'm trying to plug into an outlet. I took the diode and tried connecting it to and old phone plug. This didn't work.

[PLAIN]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6803/20100608201408.jpg

I was wondering if plugging this into an outlet is even possible, and if so how to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What you have is a fluorescent lamp if I see that rather large picture correctly.

My advice is: NOOO Stay way from trying to light it. No way will you get it lit without some sort of ballast transformer. And from what you've asked about; diode? telephone plug? , you shouldn't be messing around with power. If you don't know what you're doing you could get yourself killed or start a fire and hurt someone else.

Welcome to PF by the way.

Zazuba said:
So I have this lighting fixture that I'm trying to plug into an outlet. I took the diode and tried connecting it to and old phone plug. This didn't work.

I was wondering if plugging this into an outlet is even possible, and if so how to do it.

If the fluorescent light is meant for 12 volts and the plug-pack (wall wart) delivers 12 volts, it might work. It still depends on the polarity of the input and output, whether it is AC or DC and the actual voltages.

You have to match the output of the wall wart to the needs of the light. If it is supposed to run on 110 volts, then the output of the wall-wart will not be enough and the lamp will not light.

Somewhere on the lamp and on the wall wart there should be information to tell you the voltages they work on.

I agree with Digoff, though. If this is mains voltage equipment, you need to stop now and get someone else to help you.

Incidentally, photos need to be a lot smaller than this and carefully focussed. Programs like MS Paint or Irfanview can reduce the size of a picture from a digital camera to 640 by 480 and convert them to JPG or PNG format.

Considering I don't know what I'm doing, I'll gladly take your advice(s) and stop.

I just thought since my friend's florescent plugged into a wall, I could make mine do the same. I didn't want to pay an electrician because this is more of a temporary lighting situation. But its most definitely better than setting my house on fire.

1. What is a diode and why is it important in a plug conversion?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the opposite direction. In a plug conversion, diodes are typically used to convert AC (alternating current) to DC (direct current) to power electronic devices.

2. How do I know which diode to use for my plug conversion?

The type of diode you need will depend on the specific voltage and current requirements of your device. It is important to choose a diode with a voltage and current rating that is equal to or greater than the requirements of your device.

3. Can I use any diode for a plug conversion or are there specific ones for this purpose?

There are specific diodes designed for use in plug conversions, such as bridge rectifiers, which are commonly used for converting AC to DC. These diodes have multiple components built into one package, making them more convenient for use in plug conversions.

4. How do I connect the diode in the plug conversion?

The diode should be connected in series with the electrical circuit, with the cathode (negative) end connected to the positive side of the circuit and the anode (positive) end connected to the negative side of the circuit. It is important to ensure that the diode is connected in the correct orientation to allow current to flow in the desired direction.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with diodes for a plug conversion?

Yes, it is important to always handle diodes with caution as they can be easily damaged by excessive heat or voltage. It is also important to ensure that the circuit is disconnected from any power source before working with diodes to prevent electric shock. It is recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling diodes.