Melting arctic ice = NMP movement increase?

In summary, the North magnetic pole is currently moving towards Siberia at a rate of 45k per year, which has increased from 15k per year in the past 100 years. This is believed to be caused by density variations in the liquid core of the planet. While there is no direct link to melting Arctic ice, this movement is not to be confused with magnetic field reversal. Further research has been done on this topic, as indicated by the provided articles.
dwaring28720
i was just reading an article i got linked to from google, about the North magnetic poles location is moving towards siberia currently at about 45k per year, which has increased over the past 100 years from around 15k per year, it was explained that it was possibly caused by density variations in the liquid core of the planet, i was just curious if anyone else had a better explanation and if any research has been done into the melting arctic circle ice, and has this had any affect on the poles moving.

I may have blinked past the answers to my questions but this isn't really my area of expertise just a passing curiosity.

cheers

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Evo said:
This has nothing to do with Artic Ice and is not to be confused with magnetic field reversal.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/12/091224-north-pole-magnetic-russia-earth-core.html

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/29dec_magneticfield/

just read both articles thank you for your reply, it was very informative

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is NMP movement?

NMP movement refers to the movement of non-melting polar ice, also known as sea ice, in the Arctic. This ice is formed from frozen seawater and is constantly in motion due to winds and ocean currents.

2. How does melting arctic ice affect NMP movement?

As the Arctic ice melts, there is less sea ice to act as a barrier to the movement of NMPs. This can result in increased movement and displacement of these icebergs, which can have various impacts on the environment and wildlife in the Arctic.

3. What are the potential consequences of increased NMP movement due to melting arctic ice?

The increased NMP movement can lead to changes in ocean currents and weather patterns, which can have impacts on marine life and ecosystems. It can also pose a threat to shipping and navigation in the Arctic region.

4. Is the NMP movement directly caused by melting arctic ice?

The melting of Arctic ice is one of the factors that can contribute to increased NMP movement, but it is not the sole cause. Other factors such as winds, ocean currents, and tides also play a role in the movement of NMPs.

5. How do scientists study the relationship between melting arctic ice and NMP movement?

Scientists use various methods, including satellite imagery, ocean buoys, and computer simulations, to track and study the movement of NMPs and the changes in Arctic ice. They also collect data on sea ice thickness and temperature to better understand the impacts of melting on NMP movement.