Describe command word in questions

• Thread starter Ted123
  • Start date
In summary, when a question asks you to "describe" something, it means to find a basis or a complete characterization of the specified object. The word "hence" indicates that the next statement follows logically from the previous one. In the context of lie algebras, finding the kernel of the canonical homomorphism involves using the definition \{ v\in V : \phi v = 0 \}.
Ted123
"Describe" command word in questions

I always find it a bit vague when a question tells me to "Describe".

For example "Describe the kernel of [itex]\phi[/itex]". Does this just mean find it?

If you see the word "Hence" it means use the previous result.

Physics news on Phys.org

Ted123 said:
I always find it a bit vague when a question tells me to "Describe".

For example "Describe the kernel of [itex]\phi[/itex]". Does this just mean find it?

If you see the word "Hence" it means use the previous result.

What do you mean when you "find" the kernel? "Describe the kernel" suggests to me that you are meant to find a basis for the kernel, and this basis completely characterizes the kernel.

"Hence" means that the next statement follows from the previous statement. I don't see any difference between "hence," "ergo," or "therefor."

Well the question I'm referring to is (in the context of lie algebras but similar for linear algebra): 'describe the kernel of the canonical homomorphism [itex]\phi : \mathfrak{g} \to \mathfrak{g} / \mathfrak{h}[/itex]' defined by [itex]\phi (x)=x+\mathfrak{h}[/itex] for all [itex]x\in\mathfrak{g}[/itex] where [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] is any lie algebra (vector space with some additional properties) and [itex]\mathfrak{h}[/itex] is an ideal (subspace with some additional properties) of [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex].

I've found that [itex]\text{Ker}( \phi ) = \mathfrak{h}[/itex] but how would I present a basis?

What I mean by finding the kernel is using the definition [itex]\{ v\in V : \phi v)=0 \}[/itex]

Last edited:

Ted123 said:
Well the question I'm referring to is (in the context of lie algebras but similar for linear algebra): 'describe the kernel of the canonical homomorphism [itex]\phi : \mathfrak{g} \to \mathfrak{g} / \mathfrak{h}[/itex]' defined by [itex]\phi (x)=x+\mathfrak{h}[/itex] for all [itex]x\in\mathfrak{g}[/itex] where [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] is any lie algebra (vector space with some additional properties) and [itex]\mathfrak{h}[/itex] is an ideal (subspace with some additional properties) of [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex].

I've found that [itex]\text{Ker}( \phi ) = \mathfrak{h}[/itex] but how would I present a basis?
I was thinking vector spaces when you asked the question (and there wasn't any context to let me know you weren't talking about vector spaces).
Ted123 said:
What I mean by finding the kernel is using the definition [itex]\{ v\in V : \phi v = 0 \}[/itex]
This is just the definition of the kernel, so you haven't really found anything.

1. What does "describe" mean in a question?

When a question uses the command word "describe," it is asking for an explanation or detailed account of something.

2. How do I effectively answer a "describe" question?

To answer a "describe" question, it is important to provide specific and relevant details, examples, and explanations to fully convey the information being asked for.

3. Are there different types of "describe" questions?

Yes, there are different types of "describe" questions, such as "describe the process," "describe the characteristics," or "describe the relationship." Each type may require a slightly different approach in terms of the details and examples you provide.

4. Can I use my own opinions in a "describe" question?

No, a "describe" question typically requires an objective and factual response. It is important to stick to the facts and avoid inserting personal opinions or biases.

5. Is "describe" the only command word used in questions?

No, there are other command words commonly used in questions, such as "explain," "compare," or "analyze." It is important to pay attention to the command word in a question to ensure you are answering it correctly.