Is self-improvement really possible

• Thread starter mathscience
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of self-improvement and whether it entails rearranging existing parts or creating new connections. The quote by Epictetus suggests that true self-improvement involves going against the flow and being willing to look foolish. There is also a discussion about the relationship between self-improvement and rearranging, with some arguing that all original ideas come from rearrangement. The importance of network topology and astrocytes in the brain is also mentioned. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the importance of continuous learning and being open to new ideas for self-improvement.
mathscience
The Greek philosopher Epictetus said , "If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." Which is to say, going against the flow is never popular.

But I was wondering, is self-improvement really possible, or are we just rearranging our existing parts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

why are the two (self improvement and rearranging) mutually exclusive?

I'm wondering why this thread hasn't been locked.

it skims by on min requirements, asks a question to be safe. But yeah, it's a bit of a sluff.

mathscience said:
The Greek philosopher Epictetus said , "If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." Which is to say, going against the flow is never popular.

But I was wondering, is self-improvement really possible, or are we just rearranging our existing parts?

If we are unable to self improve then we must be at full capability at birth? Obviously that is false.

Some of the best concepts in physics have been borrowed from other fields. Which would suggest they have just been rearranged, as opposed to being original ideas.

Pythagorean said:
why are the two (self improvement and rearranging) mutually exclusive?
Yes, improvement would seem to entail some rearranging.

mathscience said:
Some of the best concepts in physics have been borrowed from other fields. Which would suggest they have just been rearranged, as opposed to being original ideas.

One can easily argue that all "original ideas" come only from rearrangement. Most of our abstract concepts come from our experiences with our somatic system (which is why we use spatial metaphor to describe abstract concepts so much).

I'm reading an interesting book about your namesake, Pythagoras, and his discoveries about the ratios used in music. Very fascinating.

I was a musician prior to going into academia; Pythagoras' work in harmonics is what led me to this handle when I was still academically undeveloped. Now there's so many more names. I might have gone with poincare or prigogine nowadays.

Pythagorean said:
I was a musician prior to going into academia; Pythagoras' work in harmonics is what led me to this handle when I was still academically undeveloped. Now there's so many more names. I might have gone with poincare or prigogine nowadays.
I think that Pythagorean was a good choice. Harmonics is, apparently, pretty deep stuff, as it turns out.

Wrt to the OP, my take is that yes of course self-improvement is realized every day by some people, and that self-improvement involves the rearrangement of existing parts and the emergence of new, unique, synaptic connections and, ultimately, human-scale behaviors.

I would agree with the Greek dudes comment in the way that considering that you are not knowledgeable will help set the scene to keep learning as if though you were a student and not a teacher.

It seems like a way of saying to adjust yourself psychologically to be an eternal student and to not consider yourself as a 'knower of things' so that you don't psychologically block yourself from continuing to not only learn and consider new things, but also to not worry about looking stupid if you ask questions that other people consider 'obvious', 'trivial', 'ridiculous' and so on.

Socrates said something along the lines of "Knowing nothing is knowing everything" (Bad paraphrase I know) and I see a direct connection between the OPs quote and this quote.

A physical and quantifiable way of measuring mental sophistication is the number of neural connections. As we learn more (and improve more) in virtually any cognitive way, the number of neural connections increases. This creation of connections that did not exist before is qualitatively different than simply rearranging existing parts.

Observe the size of self-help section at any bookstore.

DaveC426913 said:
A physical and quantifiable way of measuring mental sophistication is the number of neural connections. As we learn more (and improve more) in virtually any cognitive way, the number of neural connections increases. This creation of connections that did not exist before is qualitatively different than simply rearranging existing parts.

I might expect a gaussian or a bell curve or a maxwell-boltzman distribution of "mental sophistication" as a function of synaptic count, or SOME kind of function with a peak. Once you over-express connectivity, you would get too much synchronization, not enough isolation. So I think a hierarchical organization of the network topology will probably be washed away with too many neural connections, and the topology is important to keeping an organism at homeostasis.

In most cases in nature, we probably wouldn't see over-connectivity globally, but I wonder if some regions the brain have diseases associated with too many synapses locally (or shouldn't we include gap junctions, too?)

There's also the issue now of astrocytes, which is a part of the new concept of the tripartite synapse. Astrocyte translation regulates a lot of subcellular trafficking at the synapse that's associated with plasticity.

Though your post does remind me of a podcast I heard by Judith Lauter:
http://www.zebrabrain.com/book.htm

she mentions low-T vs. high-T brains, and I think the stereotype I came away from it with was basically that jocks who only play football were exposed to high levels of testosterone in the womb, and artsy fartsy science kids who like to dabble in all kinds of different things are associated with low testosterone exposure in the womb.

I identified with her characterization of low-T.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can anyone really improve themselves?

Yes, anyone has the potential to improve themselves as long as they are committed to making positive changes in their life. It may require hard work, dedication, and consistency, but with the right mindset and actions, self-improvement is definitely possible.

2. How long does it take to see results from self-improvement?

The time it takes to see results from self-improvement varies for each individual and depends on the specific goals and changes they are striving for. It may take weeks, months, or even years to see significant progress, but it is important to stay patient and trust the process.

3. Is self-improvement a one-time thing?

No, self-improvement is an ongoing process that requires continuous effort and dedication. It is not a one-time event, but a lifelong journey of personal growth and development.

4. Can self-improvement be achieved without outside help?

While it is possible to make improvements on your own, seeking outside help from mentors, coaches, or therapists can greatly accelerate the process and provide valuable insights and support. It is important to have a strong support system and seek guidance when needed.

5. Are there any risks associated with self-improvement?

As with any major change or transformation, there may be risks involved in self-improvement. It is important to be mindful of potential challenges and setbacks, but with proper planning, support, and self-care, these risks can be minimized. It is also important to seek professional help if any negative effects arise.