Static Friction and minimum force

In summary: Well, you tell me - what is the minimum normal force that will keep the box in place when the downslope force is mg sin θ ?OK - I am very new to this and am trying to explain it to others. I seem to be missing a key point here in the concept. I understand what you are saying but have no idea how to calculate this additional force. Please get me started.As I said, start by considering the box alone, without the additional force F involved. Can you determine the downslope force fdg, the normal force fng and the resulting frictional force resulting from fng?Yes - the downslope force would be mgcosθ - I think that is what
anne921

Homework Statement

The coefficient of static friction between the box (6.75 kg) and the ramp (30 degree incline) is 0.500. What is the magnitude of the minimum force, F, that must be applied to the box perpendicularly to the ramp to prevent the box from sliding?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The key says the answer to this question is 124N but I am unable to reach that answer. I think I am missing something and/or using the wrong equation. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
anne921 said:

Homework Statement

The coefficient of static friction between the box (6.75 kg) and the ramp (30 degree incline) is 0.500. What is the magnitude of the minimum force, F, that must be applied to the box perpendicularly to the ramp to prevent the box from sliding?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The key says the answer to this question is 124N but I am unable to reach that answer. I think I am missing something and/or using the wrong equation. Please help me!

Hello anne921, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you show the work you did on your attempt so that we can see how to help?

Yes - the simplest approach would be to use the formula that equates the coefficient of static friction to static friction force divided by the normal force.

Static Friction Force = 0.500 X mgcos30 = 28.7 N

Another thing I thought made sense is to add the force due to the mass of the box (mgcos30) to the X component of the force of gravity (mgsin30):

Maximum Force - mgcos30 + mgsin30 = 57.29N + 33.11N = 90.4N

Both of these are answer choices (multiple choice) for the question.

anne921 said:
Yes - the simplest approach would be to use the formula that equates the coefficient of static friction to static friction force divided by the normal force.

Static Friction Force = 0.500 X mgcos30 = 28.7 N
Okay, that would be the static friction force due to the normal component of the weight of the box, and not including any additional normal force due to the force F that is to be applied.
Another thing I thought made sense is to add the force due to the mass of the box (mgcos30) to the X component of the force of gravity (mgsin30):

Maximum Force - mgcos30 + mgsin30 = 57.29N + 33.11N = 90.4N
I don't see that making sense, since those forces are perpendicular to each other; One is directed into the plane of the ramp, the other is parallel to the ramp.

What you should do is compare the "downslope" force due to the weight of the box to the static friction force. If the friction force is less than the downlope force, the box will slide.

Now, adding force F to press the box more firmly against the slope is going to increase the normal force, and hence increase the friction. But it won't increase the downlsope force which is due to the weight of the box alone. Can you write an expression for the "new" friction force when F is applied?

OK - so am I misinterpreting the question?? Is there an additional force that must be applied to keep the box from slipping? I am afraid that I don't know what you are saying. I thought that adding the downward slope force in was a mistake but am really confused as to what to do...

anne921 said:
OK - so am I misinterpreting the question?? Is there an additional force that must be applied to keep the box from slipping? I am afraid that I don't know what you are saying. I thought that adding the downward slope force in was a mistake but am really confused as to what to do...

The problem statement read, in part, "What is the magnitude of the minimum force, F, that must be applied to the box perpendicularly to the ramp to prevent the box from sliding?"

So some external force F is to be applied, pushing the box more firmly against the slope. The object is to find the magnitude of this force F.

attachment.php?attachmentid=54584&stc=1&d=1357763819.gif

In the figure, the forces labelled in black font are the ones due to gravity acting on the box. The "new" force F is in blue. The force due to friction ##f_f## is also indicated in blue.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,571
OK - I am very new to this and am trying to explain it to others. I seem to be missing a key point here in the concept. I understand what you are saying but have no idea how to calculate this additional force. Please get me started.

Start by considering the box alone, without the additional force F involved. Can you determine the downslope force fdg, the normal force fng and the resulting frictional force resulting from fng?

Yes, OK - Fdg would be mgsinθ ; Fng would be mgcosθ ; and the frictional force due to Fng would be equivalent to the normal force since the box isn't moving...I am not positive about this last one but I am thinking since there is no motion the frictional force is that due to the box weight only.

anne921 said:
Yes, OK - Fdg would be mgsinθ ; Fng would be mgcosθ ; and the frictional force due to Fng would be equivalent to the normal force since the box isn't moving...I am not positive about this last one but I am thinking since there is no motion the frictional force is that due to the box weight only.

Yes to the first two. The frictional force is a portion of the normal force, that portion being determined by the coefficient of friction.

At this point, without the additional force F being applied, we can't say that the box won't move; We have to compare the frictional force to the downslope force. If the downslope force exceeds the frictional force it will start to move. So the question then becomes, how much additional normal force (F) is required to boost the frictional force to the point that it just balances the downslope force.

I am still struggling with this one. I was able to solve it I think...

the parallel component of gravity is mgsin30 which is 33.1 N; so the frictional force must balance this out so Fn = Ff/0.5 = 66.15N. Y component of gravity is mgcos30 which is 57.4N. The additional component of force necessary would then be the difference between the normal force and the y component of gravity - 8.8N. My key doesn't give this as an answer choice and I don't have the expertise in physics to know if I am correct. Is my solution correct?

Your result looks okay to me.

Thanks!

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when they are at rest. It is a type of friction that occurs between non-moving objects.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that keeps objects from moving, while kinetic friction is the force that slows down objects that are already in motion. Static friction is usually greater than kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the amount of static friction?

The amount of static friction between two surfaces depends on the types of materials, the surface area in contact, and the normal force pushing the objects together. Rougher surfaces and heavier objects typically have greater static friction.

4. What is the minimum force needed to overcome static friction?

The minimum force needed to overcome static friction is known as the threshold force. This force is equal to the maximum amount of static friction that can be exerted between the two surfaces.

5. How can the coefficient of static friction be calculated?

The coefficient of static friction can be calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force. This value is specific to the materials and surfaces in contact and can be found in friction tables or determined through experiments.