Natural Units: What is the Conversion Process?

In summary, natural units are a system of measurement where fundamental physical constants, such as the speed of light and the inverse electric charge, are set to equal 1. Converting from SI units to natural units involves simple unit conversions, without the need for additional multiplication or division. In this case, the mass in MeV/c^2 is the same as the mass in MeV, but the latter is measured in natural units. Therefore, the definition or "size" of MeV does not change, but it is not compatible with SI units.
JoePhysicsNut
I'm slightly confused about natural units.

Take mass as an example: I can measure something in kg's, but then decide to convert to MeV/c^2, for instance. To do that I would multiply the quantity in kg by 3*10^8 squared and divide by 10^6*1.6*1-^(-19) i.e. the SI values of the constants. If I then want to express the mass in natural units, which would be MeV instead of MeV/c^2, would I multiply by 3*10^8 squared again?

Physics news on Phys.org
JoePhysicsNut said:
I'm slightly confused about natural units.

Take mass as an example: I can measure something in kg's, but then decide to convert to MeV/c^2, for instance. To do that I would multiply the quantity in kg by 3*10^8 squared and divide by 10^6*1.6*1-^(-19) i.e. the SI values of the constants. If I then want to express the mass in natural units, which would be MeV instead of MeV/c^2, would I multiply by 3*10^8 squared again?

OK, so I've figured out that the answer is no I shouldn't multply by 3*10^8 squared again. The mass would be the same number in MeV/c^2 as it is in MeV, only in the latter case it's measured in natural units.

But to rephrase my question: if the number didn't change when going from MeV/c^2 to MeV, did the definition or "size" of MeV change?

In natural units, c=1. MeV/c^2 is compatible with SI units, MeV is not.

$$1kg = 1kg\frac{m^2}{s^2} \frac{s^2}{m^2} = 1J \frac{s^2}{(3\cdot 10^8 m)^2} 9\cdot 10^{16} = 1J/c^2 \cdot 9\cdot 10^{16}$$
$$1J=1C\cdot 1V = 6\cdot 10^{18} q_e \cdot 1V = 6\cdot 10^{12}MeV$$
Therefore:
$$1kg = 1J/c^2 \cdot 9\cdot 10^{16} = 5.4\cdot 10^{29}\frac{MeV}{c^2}$$
As you can see, I did not multiply with anything, I just converted units.
(a better value for the inverse electric charge would give 5.61 instead of 5.4)

Last edited:

1. What are natural units?

Natural units are a system of measurement that use fundamental physical constants, such as the speed of light or the Planck constant, as the unit of measurement. This means that the units do not rely on human-defined objects or quantities, and they allow for simpler and more elegant equations in physics.

2. How are natural units different from traditional units of measurement?

Natural units are different from traditional units of measurement because they are based on fundamental physical constants, which are universal and unchanging. Traditional units, such as meters or seconds, are based on human-defined objects or quantities, which can vary based on location or time.

3. What is the conversion process for natural units?

The conversion process for natural units involves setting the fundamental physical constants equal to 1. This means that the units for these constants are no longer needed in equations, and all other units can be expressed in terms of these fundamental constants.

4. How are natural units used in physics?

Natural units are commonly used in theoretical physics, particularly in fields like quantum mechanics and general relativity. They allow for simpler and more elegant equations, and they can help to reveal deeper connections between different physical phenomena.

5. What are the benefits of using natural units?

Some of the benefits of using natural units include simplifying equations, eliminating the need for conversion factors, and revealing deeper connections in physics. They also make it easier to compare and combine different physical quantities, and they can help to simplify calculations in complex systems.