Side chains numeration of proteins (example Cytochrome C)

• Thread starter Lindsayyyy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proteins
In summary, the letters in side chain names such as M65 and H33 refer to the one letter amino acid codes, indicating the specific amino acid at a certain position in the protein sequence. The numbering system can vary, with some counting the initial methionine as amino acid #1 and others starting from the amino acid following the initiator methionine. The amino acid sequence for horse cytochrome c can be found at Uniprot.org, but the numbering system differs from that used in the referenced paper.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everybody,

I hope I'm in the right forum. I have a question concerning the side chain numeration. I was reading the following paper

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22927377

and they used the some of the following names for the side chains: M65, H33 etc.

What does that mean? What does the M stand for in M65? At first I thought its the one letter code for amino acids, but I'm wrong. Can anyone help me out with this? I'm quite new to the subject. I tried to google it, but I failed.

Thanks for your help

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are correct about the letters standing for the one letter amino acid codes (so M65 is the methionine at position 65, H33 is the histidine at position 33). I think what's throwing you off is the numbering. Some people count the initial methionine in the sequence as amino acid #1, but often this methionine gets removed during post-translational processing of the protein. In these cases, scientists will often take amino acid number 1 as the amino acid following the initiator methionine (in the case of the horse cytochrome c used in the paper, this would be G1, glycine-1).

In case it's helpful, you can find the amino acid sequence for horse cyt c here (although the numbering system is off by one from the numbering system used by the paper you reference):

http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/P00004#section_seq

Likes 1 person

1. What is the purpose of side chains in proteins?

The side chains of proteins, also known as amino acid side chains, play a crucial role in determining the structure and function of the protein. They are responsible for forming chemical bonds and interactions with other molecules, which ultimately determine the protein's shape and function.

2. How are side chains numbered in proteins?

The side chains of proteins are numbered based on their position within the protein's primary sequence. The first side chain is typically numbered as 1, and the numbering continues sequentially along the protein's backbone.

3. What is an example of a protein with side chains?

Cytochrome C is a commonly studied protein that contains side chains. It is a heme protein found in the electron transport chain and plays a vital role in cellular respiration.

4. How do side chains affect protein folding?

The chemical properties of side chains can influence how a protein folds into its three-dimensional structure. Hydrophilic side chains tend to be on the surface of the protein, while hydrophobic side chains tend to be buried in the protein's core. This arrangement helps the protein maintain its stability and function.

5. How do side chains contribute to protein function?

The specific arrangement of side chains within a protein determines its function. For example, enzymes have specific side chains that act as binding sites for substrates, while antibodies have side chains that bind to specific antigens. Additionally, side chains can also play a role in protein-protein interactions and signaling pathways.