Stress/strain/elongation question

• Thread starter donjt81
  • Start date
In summary, for the first part of the question, the elongation of the steel cable supporting a 711kg object with a length of 24.9m and a cross sectional area of 3.83cm(squared) can be found using the formula elongation delta L = Lo * strain, where strain is equal to stress over Young's Modulus. For the second part of the question, the additional elongation of the cable can be calculated using the formula elongation delta L = Lo * strain, where strain is equal to the sum of the acceleration times the mass and the weight over Young's Modulus.
donjt81
First part of the question:
A high speed lifting mechanism supportsa 711kg object with a steel cable 24.9m long and 3.83cm(squared) in cross sectional area. Determine elongation of the cable.

I think I got this first part right... can anyone confirm my approach.

stress = F/A
F = mg = 711*9.8
A = .0383

strain = stress/Y

and then

elongation delta L = Lo * strain

Is this how you find elongation?

Second part of the question
By what additional amount does the cable increase in length if the object is accelerated upward at a rate of 3.3m/s2?

This was my approach to the second part. not sure if this is correct...

stress = F/A
but this time F = ma - mg (is this correct?)

everything else will be the same as the first part.

can someone please verify both these please.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
donjt81 said:
First part of the question:
A high speed lifting mechanism supportsa 711kg object with a steel cable 24.9m long and 3.83cm(squared) in cross sectional area. Determine elongation of the cable.
I think I got this first part right... can anyone confirm my approach.
stress = F/A
F = mg = 711*9.8
A = .0383
strain = stress/Y
and then
elongation delta L = Lo * strain
Is this how you find elongation?
As long as you are in the elastic range, yes. Your approach is correct since

[tex]S = \frac{P}{A}[/tex]

you can then relate strain (e) to stress via Young's Modulus, E by Hooke's Law

[tex]S = eE[/tex]

Once you have the strain, use the definition of engineering strain to find the increase in length:

[tex]e = \frac{\Delta L}{L_o}[/tex]

donjt81 said:
By what additional amount does the cable increase in length if the object is accelerated upward at a rate of 3.3m/s2?
This was my approach to the second part. not sure if this is correct...
stress = F/A
but this time F = ma - mg (is this correct?)
Close, but it will be
[tex]F = ma + mg[/tex]

You can reason this out. If the mass is accelerating, would you expect it to weigh more or less than it does staically? The other way to think of it is that the acceleration is in the upward direction, but the reaction force, the force that causes the increased deflection, is opposite because of Newton's 3rd law.

OK that makes sense. Because when i calculated it with F = ma - mg, I was getting a smaller elongation than the first part. It didnt make sense.

But if we do F = ma + mg then the elongation will be more than the first part and it makes more sense.

thanks again

What is stress?

Stress is a measure of the force applied to a material per unit area. It is typically represented by the symbol σ (sigma) and is measured in units of force per area, such as N/m2 or Pa (Pascal). Stress can cause a material to deform or break depending on its properties and the amount of force applied.

What is strain?

Strain is a measure of the deformation of a material due to stress. It is typically represented by the symbol ε (epsilon) and is a unitless quantity. Strain is calculated by dividing the change in length of a material by its original length. It is often expressed as a percentage or in decimal form.

What is the relationship between stress and strain?

The relationship between stress and strain is known as Hooke's Law. It states that within the elastic limit of a material, the stress is directly proportional to the strain. In other words, as the stress increases, so does the strain. This relationship is described by the material's Young's Modulus, which is a measure of its stiffness.

What is elastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is a reversible change in shape or size of a material under stress that is within its elastic limit. This means that when the stress is removed, the material will return to its original shape and size. Elastic deformation is characterized by a linear relationship between stress and strain, as described by Hooke's Law.

What is plastic deformation?

Plastic deformation is a permanent change in shape or size of a material under stress that exceeds its elastic limit. This means that when the stress is removed, the material will not return to its original shape and size. Plastic deformation is characterized by a non-linear relationship between stress and strain, and can result in the material breaking or failing.