Golden Key Honors Society - Worth it?

• Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Honors
In summary, the conversation discusses whether joining the Golden Key honors society is worth it for the speaker, who has been invited to join. They wonder if it would provide any benefits, such as job opportunities or networking with other members. The speaker is considering talking to current members and researching the local chapter's events before deciding whether to join.
JasonJo
Are they worth it? At my school there is no national Mathematics or Applied Mathematics honors societies. But I got invited to Golden Key. I'm wondering if it is worth it to join Golden Key? Maybe not even for recognition but maybe just to meet more people?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For me, the only thing I thought Golden Key might have been good for was getting jobs, at least, that's what they say. If possible, I would go and try to talk to current members of Golden Key and see if it has done anything for them. If you get the sense that it really does give you a good leg up in getting a job, then it may be worth the $80/$90 dollars they ask from you.

i plan on going to grad school immediately after undergrad for my ph.d in mathematics. i guess it would be worth it just to meet new people

Couldn't hurt, I guess. Go to their website, look up your local chapter, and see what kind of events they have, and how often they have them. If it looks like it's worth the money, then do it.

1. Is Golden Key Honors Society a legitimate organization?

Yes, Golden Key Honors Society is a legitimate international honor society that has been in existence since 1977. It is recognized by universities and employers around the world.

2. What are the benefits of joining Golden Key Honors Society?

There are many benefits of joining Golden Key Honors Society, including access to exclusive scholarships, leadership opportunities, networking events, and career development resources. Membership also looks impressive on resumes and can enhance your academic and professional reputation.

3. How do I become a member of Golden Key Honors Society?

In order to become a member of Golden Key Honors Society, you must receive an invitation from your university or be nominated by a current member. You must also meet the academic requirements, which vary by university but typically include being in the top 15% of your class.

4. Is there a membership fee for Golden Key Honors Society?

Yes, there is a one-time membership fee for joining Golden Key Honors Society. The fee covers lifetime membership and varies by university, but is typically around $100.

5. Is it worth joining Golden Key Honors Society?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. If you are looking to enhance your resume, gain access to exclusive opportunities, and network with other high-achieving individuals, then joining Golden Key Honors Society may be worth it for you. However, if you are not interested in these benefits or do not meet the academic requirements, then it may not be worth the membership fee.