Proving an Identity from Differential Geometry

In summary, when dealing with partial derivatives, it's important to keep in mind that the dx^j (partial/partial x^i) involves an ordinary "d' and not a partial". Somehow the dx^j gets moved in front of the partials, and because of this we have (partial)(dx^j)/partial x^i, two derivatives on the top.
mannyfold
One often encounters the following identitiy in Tensor Analysis/Differential Geometry:

dx^j (partial/partial x^i) = partial x^j / partial x^i = delta ij

It's easy to see why partial x^j / partial x^i = delta ij

but how does

dx^j (partial/partial x^i) = partial x^j/partial x^i ?

I have three problems with this:

1. the dx^j involves an ordinary "d' and not a partial
2. somehow the dx^j gets moved in front of the partials
3. because when it moves we have (partial)(dx^j)/partial x^i, there are two derivatives on the top

Any explanation would be helpful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mannyfold said:
One often encounters the following identitiy in Tensor Analysis/Differential Geometry:

dx^j (partial/partial x^i) = partial x^j / partial x^i = delta ij

It's easy to see why partial x^j / partial x^i = delta ij

but how does

dx^j (partial/partial x^i) = partial x^j/partial x^i ?

I have three problems with this:

1. the dx^j involves an ordinary "d' and not a partial
2. somehow the dx^j gets moved in front of the partials
3. because when it moves we have (partial)(dx^j)/partial x^i, there are two derivatives on the top

Any explanation would be helpful. Thanks.
Hi mannyfold.

I have read the old thread, and my second posting is wrong, i think, because here we are talking about dual basis vectors.
So dxi is the dual of d/dxj, and so there inner product ist delta ij.

When we say: dxi plugs the ith component of a vector, so dxi plugs also the ith part of the basis-vector d/dxj. This component is always =1 if i = j.
That is, with an arbitrary vector v=vi(d/dxi): dxi(v)=v(xi)=vj(dxi/dxj)=vj(delta ij)=vi

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
It looks as if that equation is is to do with covariant and contravariant basis vectors. A natural vector basis for a tangent space is the coordiante basis [itex]{\partial_i}[/itex] and a sensible basis dual to this coordinate basis is [itex]{\tilde{d}x_i}[/itex]. The equation you gave [itex]\tilde{d}x^i(\partial_j)=\delta^i_j[/itex] is from the definition of a covariant vector, that it maps a vector into the reals via an inner product. The functional [itex]\tilde{d}x^i(\partial_j)[/itex] is essentially saying "what's the j-th component of the i-th dual basis vector?". Given the definition of this dual coordinate basis is [itex]\sum_j\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^j}dx^j[/itex] it is obvious that its j-th component is [itex]\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^j}=\delta^i_j[/itex]. Or you could look at it through the inner product.

Thanks guys. I finally got it through my head that df(v) is a function that maps vectors to the reals; hence, dx^i (partial/partial x^j) just maps all the basis vectors to 0 except the ith which it maps to 1 (orthonormality condition).

My mistake was that I was still working with the elementary definition of df being an infinitesimal change in f. Hence, the confusion.

I still think there must be a connection between the elementary definition and this definition. Anybody out there have any ideas as to how to explain or connect the two definitions of df?

PS: Perturbation, how do you get those nifty math symbols to appear on this forum?

What is an identity in differential geometry?

An identity in differential geometry is an equation that is true for all values of its variables. They are used to describe geometric properties and relationships between objects in a space.

How do you prove an identity in differential geometry?

To prove an identity, you must show that both sides of the equation are equivalent by using known properties and theorems in differential geometry. This can also involve manipulating the equations and substituting values to show that they are equal.

What are some common techniques used in proving identities in differential geometry?

Some common techniques include using the definition of geometric objects and properties, using theorems such as the Pythagorean theorem and the law of cosines, and using geometric constructions and diagrams.

Why is proving an identity important in differential geometry?

Proving identities is important in differential geometry because it allows us to understand and describe the geometric properties and relationships between objects in a space. It also helps us to develop new theorems and techniques for solving geometric problems.

Can identities be used in other fields of science?

Yes, identities can be used in other fields of science such as physics, engineering, and computer science. In these fields, identities are used to describe relationships between variables and to solve complex problems.