Discover the Universe's Undensity with the Human Body Calculation

• Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the critical density of the Universe is equal to about 6 Hydrogen atoms/meter cubed. If a human body were to be spread out to fit this density, it would occupy a volume of approximately 1 cubic meter. However, considering the average molecular makeup of a human body, this number may vary. The best WMAP data suggests the Universe's matter density is closer to 0.27 x 6 Hydrogen atoms/meter cubed, and even smaller if we exclude dark matter. These numbers provide perspective on the overall undensity of the Universe.
Chaos' lil bro Order
Greetings,

I was thinking about Cosmology and Omega-Matter. The critical density of the Universe is equal to about 6 Hydrogen atoms/ meter cubed. If we were to smear a human body out to fit it to this density, how big a volume would the human body smear out to be?

Assume, the human body occupies a volume of ~1 meter cubed

Assume, the average Mol. in the human body is 6,6-Carbon

Can anyone figure this out? It seems like a fun way to gain perspective on just how undense the Universe is.

P.S. Really our best WMAP data says the Universe's matter density is closer to 0.27 x 6 Hydrogen atoms. If we exclude dark matter, this number gets even smaller and becomes 0.04 x 6 Hydrogen atoms/ meter cubed.

Physics news on Phys.org
'any ideas folks?'

'A cube of side about 3 light-seconds (10^9m).'

'I guess no one likes this idea, lol.'

1. How can I calculate [variable] in my experiment?

To calculate a variable in your experiment, you will need to use a formula or equation that relates that variable to other known quantities. Make sure you have all the necessary data and plug it into the equation correctly to get an accurate calculation.

2. What units should I use when performing calculations?

The units you use in your calculations should be consistent with the units of your data. If your data is in metric units, then your calculation should also be in metric units. It is important to pay attention to units to ensure accurate and meaningful results.

3. How do I know if my calculation is correct?

To check the accuracy of your calculation, you can use a calculator or double-check your work by hand. You can also compare your result to expected values or values obtained from previous experiments. If your calculation is significantly different, you may need to review your process or data.

4. What should I do if I get a different answer than expected in my calculation?

If your calculation yields a different answer than expected, first check for any errors in your data or process. If everything seems correct, you may need to re-evaluate your equation or seek assistance from a colleague or supervisor. It is important to troubleshoot and understand any discrepancies in your results.

5. Can I use a calculator or computer program to perform my calculations?

Yes, using a calculator or computer program can be helpful for performing complex calculations or handling large quantities of data. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and equations behind the calculation and to check the accuracy of the results obtained from the calculator or program.