Transcriptional start sites are called promoters

• Thread starter rockind78
  • Start date
In summary: Anyone who wants to ask a question will be allowed to, but no one will be able to answer more than one question at a time. This thread will be open for a week and then we will have a vote to see who gets to answer the next question.In summary, this thread is for people to ask questions and then vote to see who gets to answer the next question.
rockind78
I know that transcriptional start sites are called promoters. My professor made reference to a "core promoter" on a day that I missed class (looking at notes from that day). I am not familiar with this terminology, can anyone help me out here?

Biology news on Phys.org
The core promoter is the element for specific initiation of transcription wheres as the promoter is DNA region which also contain transcription factor binding sites similar to enhancers.
I have only seen core promoter used for eucarya type of transcription but it could also be for bacteria and archea.

Originally posted by rockind78
I know that transcriptional start sites are called promoters.
TSSs are not promotors, the region upstream and including TSS is a promotor. I guess the core promotor would describe the most important elements for transcription to take place, such as a TATA box and the ATG.

Originally posted by Monique
TSSs are not promotors, the region upstream and including TSS is a promotor.

You are right. I don't know what I was thinking...brain lapse I guess.[zz)] Ian pretty much hit on the head with the core promoter thing. I actually found it in my textbook. If you haven't looked at 'em already, the "Genes" books by Lewin are excellent.

Last edited:
This is more like it. Bring on more threads like this. Thanks for the great question Rockind78. Easy enough for Ian and Monique to answer, but important enough for people like me to need a little revision in

I'm going to start up a thread which we sort of had in the old PF, the Molecular Biology Q and A. The old version was more like a game, like, ask a question you knew the answer to, just to see if someone else knew it, or knew something better...

This time I think we will make it a free for all...

1. What is a transcriptional start site?

A transcriptional start site is the specific location on a DNA sequence where the process of transcription begins. This is where RNA polymerase binds to the DNA and begins to copy the genetic information into messenger RNA (mRNA).

2. Why are transcriptional start sites important?

Transcriptional start sites are important because they determine which genes are expressed and at what level. The location and strength of a promoter, which is the specific sequence that marks the transcriptional start site, can greatly influence the amount of mRNA produced and therefore the amount of protein that is ultimately produced.

3. How are transcriptional start sites identified?

Transcriptional start sites are identified through a combination of experimental techniques and computational analysis. These include techniques such as RNA sequencing and promoter mapping, as well as bioinformatics tools that can predict potential transcriptional start sites based on DNA sequence characteristics.

4. What is the role of promoters in transcriptional start sites?

Promoters play a critical role in transcriptional start sites by providing the necessary signals for RNA polymerase to bind and initiate transcription. Promoters typically contain specific DNA sequences, such as the TATA box, that serve as recognition sites for transcription factors and other proteins involved in the transcription process.

5. Can transcriptional start sites be altered or mutated?

Yes, transcriptional start sites can be altered or mutated, which can have significant effects on gene expression. Mutations in the promoter region can change the strength of the promoter, potentially leading to increased or decreased expression of the associated gene. In addition, mutations in the transcriptional start site itself can disrupt the binding of RNA polymerase and affect the transcription process.