Universe: Infinite Nature & Finite Singularity

In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of the universe and whether it is finite or infinite. The Standard Big Bang Model suggests that the universe can be infinite if it has hyperbolic or flat space. The first question asks how an infinite universe can begin with a finite singularity, to which the response is that it cannot. The second question delves into the concept of an edgeless universe and what qualifies an infinite universe, which is determined by the mathematics of differential geometry. The conversation also mentions that cosmology deals with mathematical descriptions of the universe and that the basic math needed to study infinite spaces is not difficult.
Jenny
Many books say "this model of the universe is infinite in nature"
Say the Standard Big Bang Model can be infinite in nature if it has hyperbolic/ flat space.
My questions are:

1. how can an infinite universe begin with a finite singularity?

2. a universe with spherical geometry is finite in space but has no edge because it comes back on itself.
(analogy being the spherical Earth with no edge- analogy is dodgy because Earth exists in 3-D space where as we shouldn't view our universe as existing in a higher dimension)
What does edgeless mean in an infinite universe? I guess my question is- what characterises/ quantify/ qualify an infinite universe?
(eg. is it the maths?)

Space news on Phys.org
Jenny said:

I asked about the exact same in another thread here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=125843&page=2 :smile:

Jenny said:
2. a universe with spherical geometry is finite in space but has no edge because it comes back on itself.
(analogy being the spherical Earth with no edge- analogy is dodgy because Earth exists in 3-D space where as we shouldn't view our universe as existing in a higher dimension)
What does edgeless mean in an infinite universe? I guess my question is- what characterises/ quantify/ qualify an infinite universe?
(eg. is it the maths?)

What do you really mean by this? If the universe is infinite, it has no limits by definition. If you go x lightyears in one direction (without turning around), you will never come back to the starting point, which actually is the case in a closed (finite) universe.

Maybe I misunderstood this question...? :smile:

Jenny said:
Many books say "this model of the universe is infinite in nature"
Say the Standard Big Bang Model can be infinite in nature if it has hyperbolic/ flat space.
My questions are:

I think the answer to your question #1 is: IT CAN'T.
I don't know of any book that says the initial singularity has to be spatially finite.
Nobody I know of assumes it has to be spatially finite (unless the universe is spatially finite).
Maybe some popular science book describes the initial singularity in intuitive language which gives readers the impression that it has to be bounded, or even confined to a single point.

A singularity is a (possibly infinite) region where a theory fails----i.e. fails to compute, gives meaningless answers, like infinite curvature (!) infinite density (!) etc.
(You are right to suppose that a spatially infinite universe cannot arise from a spatially finite singularity, but this is technically not a problem, since nobody pretends that it can.)

What does edgeless mean in an infinite universe? I guess my question is- what [describes] an infinite universe?
(eg. is it the maths?)

YES IT IS THE MATHS because that is what cosmology is. Cosmology deals with math descriptions of universes.

Moreover the basic math needed is not very hard.
I guess you have heard of R2 the mathematical ideal picture of an infinite flat sheet of graph paper.
Probably you also know of R3 the mathematical idea of an infinite 3D "graph paper".

these things are edgeless, if you study them by themselves, no surrounded by any higher dimensional space.

Also there is R4 the mathematical picture of infinite 4D graph paper.

It is extremely edgeless.

It does not take a lot of fancy math to begin studying these things. One can define distances, and angles, and areas and or volumes, etc. and continuous paths etc.

So the beginning is easy and straightforward, and you may have been thru all that, but it does not necessarily stop there.

all these things are examples of differentiable manifolds and there are other examples. they aren't necessarily all flat. the curvature of one of them can be defined INTERNALLY by some clever surveying tricks without ever having to suppose any surrounding space. So you can have a BUMPY infinite space.

the kind of mathematics that describes finite and infinite differentiable manifolds, using internal surveying methods, is called DIFFERENTIAL GEOMETRY-----it isn't hard. college sophomores or juniors take it, after a good course in calculus.

to repeat your second question
I guess my question is- what [describes] an infinite universe?

the answer is that what describes it is the techniques you learn in differential geometry.
(a lot of it is so intuitive that you can almost give verbal analogies and nontechnical equivalents---but it is still safer to back it up with math definitions, if you do that sort of thing)

Last edited:

1. What is the "Universe: Infinite Nature & Finite Singularity" theory?

The "Universe: Infinite Nature & Finite Singularity" theory proposes that the universe is infinite in nature, meaning that it has no beginning or end, but is constantly expanding. It also suggests that at the core of this infinite universe, there is a finite singularity, a point of infinite density and gravity, from which the universe originated.

2. How does this theory differ from the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory proposes that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding since then. However, the "Universe: Infinite Nature & Finite Singularity" theory suggests that the universe has always been infinite and that the singularity at its core is not the beginning but rather a point of transition.

3. What evidence supports the "Universe: Infinite Nature & Finite Singularity" theory?

Some evidence that supports this theory includes the observation that the universe appears to be expanding at an accelerating rate, which could be explained by an infinite universe with a finite singularity at its core. Additionally, the existence of cosmic microwave background radiation, which is thought to be leftover energy from the Big Bang, could also support the idea of a singularity at the core of an infinite universe.

4. How does this theory impact our understanding of the origin of the universe?

The "Universe: Infinite Nature & Finite Singularity" theory challenges traditional ideas about the origin of the universe and suggests that the universe has always existed in some form. It also raises questions about the possibility of multiple universes and the concept of time in an infinite universe.

5. Are there any potential implications or applications of this theory?

The "Universe: Infinite Nature & Finite Singularity" theory could have implications for our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics. It could also lead to new ideas and theories about the nature of the universe and our place within it. Additionally, further research and exploration could potentially lead to practical applications in areas such as space travel and energy production.