Building a Compact and Efficient Power Supply: Can ICs Provide the Solution?

In summary, an expert suggests looking for a small transformer-powered power supply that can be plugged into a wall outlet, or constructing your own "energy storage" power supply.
juming
Hi there,

I'd like to switch 220-250v AC (50/60Hz) to 5 or 3.3v DC as easily and in the physically smallest way possible. Can someone offer advice on this? Do there exist IC's that will just do this for me? I have experience with LSR's but a transformer is too bulky for my needs.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't they have wall adapters where you are, such as are used for laptops or such? Do you mean that one of those is too bulky?

How much current do you need out of it? If it's a very small amount, you can use a small transformer and get your desired voltage. As for switch mode supplies, they are a lot more complicated than a normal linear supply but still use a transformer. A switch mode supply in a nutshell takes the 60hz ac current, converts it to 30khz pulsating DC current and then transforms and filters it to pure DC. The secret is being able to make the current into a very high frequency which allows you to transform the same amount of power of a regular supply, but with a smaller transformer and caps.

haha! yes... laptop thing is a bit too bulky...

i'm looking for this to include in a design that will hopefully fit in that small gap in the concrete behind a lightswitch... wait... if you're an american with those woody housey things, let me explain...

real houses are built of bricks... its like a square stone thing... you pile a bunch of them together & stick them together with a kind of glue we call concrete... like a sand-glue stuff... its all really cool... doesn't burn down or get blown over by the wind.. u guys should try it!

there's typically a small space behind a lightswitch for excess cable or whatever... and i want it to sit in there without causing too much heat... but, no, I'm not using lots of current... its just to power a uController basically... so really, 10mA is more than enough.

can a powersupply be made that small?

thanks again :) sorry for patronising the yanks :p

There are some very tiny switching wall transformer-type power supplies available now. The market has been driven by USB and Ethernet hubs and such things. I've seen ones that are only a couple cm on a side, delivering an amp or so at 5V, with universal 100-240VAC input capability. I did a quick google search and didn't find any great pictures, but this will give you an idea:

http://www.am-transformers.com/products2/switchmode.html

Just do a bit of googling to see how small you can find them. Even places like Digikey.com and Mouser.com have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
juming said:
sorry for patronising the yanks :p
Go ahead; I'm a Canuk. :biggrin:

Another option, Juming, would be to make your own "Energy Storage" power supply. Since you only need a few mA, you can use a simple HV capacitor as the isolating/dropping element from your 240Vrms mains. You can read more about them starting on page 158 in a document from my company's website, "PL 3120 / PL 3150 Smart Transceiver Data Book", which is document 005-0154-01 on this page:

http://www.echelon.com/support/documentation/manuals/transceivers/

BTW, you will need to get your devices safety approved if you want to be installing them in real houses. I believe the agency is TUV in the EU, but I'm not sure. If you use the pre-built units that I mentioned above, they come with their own safety agency approvals. If you build your own, you really should get them safety approved. Maybe bricks don't burn, but the wall material inside the house does, and if your devices start a fire, that would be bad. Also, you really should only tackle building things that connect to the AC mains if you have experience with working with high voltages. The AC mains is dangerous when it's exposed, and it's easy to get hurt or blow up test equipment if you don't have the experience yet. Stay safe!

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Also, you really should only tackle building things that connect to the AC mains if you have experience with working with high voltages.

What better time to start than now! :) that's why I was looking for the easiest & smallest solution to quickly bring the AC mains to a 5V DC that I know! :)

how about this... is this feasible:
If i use a rechargable battery & then somehow inductively couple power from the mains line when it is on to trickle charge the battery?
would that even work? if so, how?

thanks for your help :)

Danger said:
Go ahead; I'm a Canuk. :biggrin:

Google says Canuk = Central Association for Nigerians in the UK ... ?

:tongue2:

That's why one should never trust the net as a definitive source. I'm Canadian. :rolleyes:

Danger said:
That's why one should never trust the net as a definitive source. I'm Canadian. :rolleyes:

I am also from Canukistan too! :biggrin:

What is a switch mode power supply and how does it work?

A switch mode power supply (SMPS) is an electronic circuit that converts one form of electrical energy (typically alternating current) into another form (typically direct current). It uses a switching regulator to control the conversion of energy, which allows for greater efficiency and a smaller physical size compared to traditional linear power supplies.

What are the advantages of using a switch mode power supply?

Switch mode power supplies offer several advantages over linear power supplies, including higher efficiency, smaller size and weight, and less heat generation. They also provide better regulation of output voltage and can handle a wider range of input voltages.

What are the different types of switch mode power supplies?

There are several types of switch mode power supplies, including buck, boost, buck-boost, and flyback converters. Each type has its own unique circuit design and characteristics, but they all use a switching regulator to control the conversion of energy.

What are some common applications of switch mode power supplies?

Switch mode power supplies are commonly used in electronic devices that require a stable and efficient power source, such as computers, televisions, smartphones, and other consumer electronics. They are also used in industrial equipment, medical devices, and automotive systems.

What are the potential drawbacks of using a switch mode power supply?

While switch mode power supplies offer many advantages, they also have some potential drawbacks. These include the generation of electromagnetic interference (EMI), which can affect the performance of nearby electronic devices, and the need for careful design and filtering to prevent voltage spikes and other issues that can damage sensitive components.