Struggling to Understand Polynomials?

In summary, the conversation discusses polynomials and rational functions, with the mathematician providing a joke about a parrot dying due to a polynomial. The conversation also references a link for more information on polynomials.
ONANDY
Need Some Help With Polynomials

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You will have to be a little bit more specific.

Since you weren't very specific, I'm going to guess your question and help you with it.

No, [tex]x^3/(2x^2-3x)[/tex] is not a polynomial; it's a rational function. You can think of this as the ratio of two polynomials. It doesn't exist when the 'denominator' polynomial has a zero. Can you solve that one? Hint: quadratics have two solutions (usually, and this one does). Be careful when dividing!

See
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Polynomial.html
for more information on polynomials.

Last edited:
ONANDY said:
Polynomial rhymes on Binomial and Trichomial.
Hope this helped!:smile:

Vet: How did your parrot die?
Mathematician: Polynomial.

(PS - know this is no place for stupid jokes, but I had to. :biggrin: )

ONANDY said:

Is this a question or a statement?

If it is a question, do you need help or are you offering it?

If it is a statement, I don't know what it means.

What are polynomials?

Polynomials are mathematical expressions that consist of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. They can also include exponents, but not division or negative exponents.

How do I add or subtract polynomials?

To add or subtract polynomials, you must first arrange them in standard form, with the terms in descending order of degree. Then, you can simply combine like terms by adding or subtracting their coefficients. The result will also be in standard form.

Can I multiply polynomials?

Yes, you can multiply polynomials using the distributive property. Multiply each term in one polynomial by each term in the other polynomial, and then combine like terms to simplify the resulting expression.

What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent in the expression. For example, the degree of 4x^3 + 2x^2 + 5 is 3, because that is the highest exponent of x.

How do I divide polynomials?

Dividing polynomials is a more complex process than addition, subtraction, or multiplication. It involves using long division or synthetic division to find the quotient and remainder. It is recommended to use a calculator or consult a math expert for assistance with polynomial division.