Find the volume of the solid

In summary: However, as it is, you can use the area formula to find the area of each cross section. In summary, each cross section is perpendicular to the x-axis and is a triangle of altitude 2. The base of the solid is the region bounded by the graphs of x=y^2 and x=4. The volume of the solid is 4-x2dx.
HenryF
The base of a solid is the region bounded by the graphs of x=y^2 and x=4. "Each cross section is perpendicular to the x-axis is a triangle of altitude 2." Find the volume of the solid.

That was how it was worded, I'm guessing it meant Each cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is a triangle of altitude 2?

Assuming that's what it says. How are these problems tackled? The addition of the quoted sentence confuses me a tad bit on what direction to head.

Physics news on Phys.org
So after looking at it some more, I got:

Int{0 to 4} Sqrt(3)/4 * (4 - Sqrt(x))^2 dx ?

Hrmm.. ok, I just noticed I didn't use the altitude...

Last edited:
"Each cross section is perpendicular to the x-axis is a triangle of altitude 2."
I'm guessing it meant Each cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is a triangle of altitude 2?

Good guess! Did the problem really have that extraneous first "is"?

Since the area of a triangle is (1/2)h*b and h= 2, you only need to calculate b. The cross section is perpendicular to the x-axis so the base is the y distance. y, for specific x, ranges from x2 up to 4 so the distance is b= 4-x2. That is, the area of such a triangle is (1/2)(4-x2)(2)= 4- x2. Imagining each cross section as an infinitesmally this slab, of thickness dx (since the thickness, perpendicular to the plane, is in the x-direction), the "volume" of each slab is (4- x2)dx.

Putting all of the "slabs" together, the total volume is
[tex]\int_0^4(4-x^2)dx[/tex]

I have absolutely no idea where you got all those square roots!

shouldn't the volume of a solid

shouldn't it be composed as a triple integral since you are dealing with a solid? or did I not read the problem correctly?

HenryF...might I suggest

this helped me a lot when I was in calc...

making a graphical representation (even if it is 3 dimetions) can help a lot.

Originally posted by modmans2ndcoming
shouldn't it be composed as a triple integral since you are dealing with a solid? or did I not read the problem correctly?

It could be but it is not necessary. Since you were told that every cross section is "a triangle of altitude 2", you can use the area formula to find the area of each cross section. If the cross section had been a more general figure, you might have had to use a double integral to find that area.

1. How do you find the volume of a solid?

The volume of a solid can be found by multiplying the area of the base by the height of the solid. This formula is known as V = Bh, where V is the volume, B is the area of the base, and h is the height of the solid.

2. What is the unit of measurement for volume?

The unit of measurement for volume depends on the unit used for the dimensions of the solid. For example, if the base is measured in square inches and the height is measured in inches, then the volume will be in cubic inches.

3. Can you find the volume of an irregularly shaped solid?

Yes, the volume of an irregularly shaped solid can still be found by using the formula V = Bh. In this case, the area of the base may need to be calculated using more complex methods such as integration or approximation.

4. How do you measure the height of a solid?

The height of a solid can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Alternatively, the height can also be calculated by dividing the volume of the solid by the area of the base.

5. Why is it important to know the volume of a solid?

Knowing the volume of a solid is important in many fields, such as construction, engineering, and manufacturing. It allows for accurate calculations of materials needed, structural stability, and cost estimations.