Negative Voltage vs. Negative Pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between negative voltage and negative pressure in a closed system of charged particles. The calculation of voltage is incorrect and energy is only defined up to an arbitrary constant. The discussion also mentions the possibility of negative changes in pressure being related to negative changes in voltage.
kmarinas86
Assume conservation of energy and conservation of charge for a system such that:

[itex]constant_{1}=energy_{system}/charge_{system}[/itex]

[itex]constant_{2}=energy_{system}=constant_{1}*Coulombs[/itex]

[itex]constant_{1}=voltage_{system}[/itex]

What is "negative" voltage?

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/4655/4643

I am doing the following right? Or is the relationship between negative voltage and negative pressure not this easy?

Assume that the system of charged particles is not in equilibrium. Assume that the system is closed. The charges will clump irregularly. The spaces in between will have negative voltage. If we assume that these parts of the systems compose mostly of cations (e.g. H+), this means that energy in the gaps between the charge clumps is negative. The empty regions would have a negative pressure, because energy corresponds to pressure * volume.

http://www.google.com/search?q="negative+voltage"+"negative+pressure" ;)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation of "voltage" (presumably, you mean electrostatic potential) is incorrect. And what does pressure have anything to do with this? No, negative energy does not mean negative pressure. Energy is only defined up to an arbitrary additive constant. I can always make the energy positive if I wish.

Gokul43201 said:
Your calculation of "voltage" (presumably, you mean electrostatic potential) is incorrect. And what does pressure have anything to do with this? No, negative energy does not mean negative pressure. Energy is only defined up to an arbitrary additive constant. I can always make the energy positive if I wish.

When I said energy, what I really meant was pressure * volume. Should have clarified that. The point of the post was to ask/verify if negative changes in pressures are related to negative changes in voltage.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between negative voltage and negative pressure?

Negative voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, where the voltage at the second point is lower than the voltage at the first point. Negative pressure, on the other hand, refers to a force that is exerted in the opposite direction of the natural flow or movement of a substance, such as air or fluid. In simpler terms, negative voltage is a property of electricity, while negative pressure is a property of fluids.

2. Can negative voltage and negative pressure occur simultaneously?

Yes, negative voltage and negative pressure can occur simultaneously in certain situations. For example, in a vacuum tube, negative voltage is used to attract electrons, while negative pressure is used to control the flow of gas or air within the tube.

3. How are negative voltage and negative pressure measured?

Negative voltage is typically measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter, while negative pressure is measured in units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi), using a pressure gauge.

4. What are the applications of negative voltage and negative pressure?

Negative voltage is commonly used in electronic devices, such as batteries, circuits, and power supplies. Negative pressure has a wide range of applications, including in pumps, vacuum systems, and industrial processes, where it is used to control the flow or movement of fluids.

5. Can negative voltage and negative pressure be harmful?

Negative voltage and negative pressure can be harmful in certain situations. For example, high levels of negative voltage can cause electric shock, while extreme negative pressure can lead to implosion or collapse of structures. It is important to handle and use these properties with caution and following proper safety measures.