Magnetic flux thorugh a loop of wire

In summary, the problem involves finding the flux of B through a square loop of wire lying on a table at a distance s from a long straight wire carrying a current I. The flux of B is given by an integral formula and the area element is constant while the magnetic field is not. The solution involves using an infinitesimal rectangular strip for the area element.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

Griffiths Problem 7.8
A square loop of wire (side a) lies on a table dsiantce s from a very long straight wire, which carries a current I, as shown in teh figure.

Find the flux of B through the loop

Homework Equations

Flux of B is given by
[tex] \Phi_{B} = \int \vec{B} \dot d\vec{a} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

THe area element is constant
but hte magnetic field is not
For a wire, B at a dsitance r is given by
[tex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_{0} I}{2\pi r} \hat{phi} [/tex]

Flux is then
[tex] \Phi_{B} = \int_{s}^{s+a} \frac{\mu_{0} I}{2\pi r} a^2 ds [/tex]

but hte solution says that the area element should be just a, and not a^2 .. why is that?

thanks for help!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 666
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
but hte solution says that the area element should be just a, and not a^2 .. why is that?
The element of area is "a ds", where "ds" is distance along r: you are treating the area as infinitesimal rectangular strips, parallel to the wire.

Doc Al said:
The element of area is "a ds", where "ds" is distance along r: you are treating the area as infinitesimal rectangular strips, parallel to the wire.

thank you
i get it now

1. What is magnetic flux through a loop of wire?

Magnetic flux through a loop of wire is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through the loop. It is a quantity that describes the strength of the magnetic field in a given area.

2. How is magnetic flux through a loop of wire calculated?

Magnetic flux through a loop of wire is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the area of the loop and the cosine of the angle between the magnetic field and the normal vector to the loop. This is known as the magnetic flux formula: Φ = B*A*cos(θ).

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic flux?

The SI unit of measurement for magnetic flux is the Weber (Wb). However, it is also commonly expressed in units of Tesla (T) multiplied by square meters (m^2).

4. How does changing the area or orientation of the loop affect the magnetic flux through it?

The magnetic flux through a loop of wire is directly proportional to the area of the loop and the cosine of the angle between the magnetic field and the normal vector to the loop. This means that increasing the area or changing the orientation of the loop can change the amount of magnetic flux passing through it.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding magnetic flux through a loop of wire?

Understanding magnetic flux through a loop of wire is essential in the design and operation of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also important in the field of magnetic materials research and in the development of new technologies such as magnetic levitation systems.