Vacuum Energy Density & Mass: 4th Power Relation

In summary, the vacuum energy is of order of the critical density, so the mass to which this density corresponds is 0.431 times the Planck mass.
Logarythmic

Homework Statement

Show that, in natural units [itex]h=c=1[/itex], an energy density may be expressed as the fourth power of a mass. If the vacuum energy contributed by a cosmological constant is now of order of the critical density, what is the mass to which this density corresponds?

2. The attempt at a solution
For the first part I think that

[tex]\rho_E \propto \frac{m_Pc^2}{l_P^3} = \frac{m_P^4c^5}{h^3}[/tex]

where the index P is for the Planck units.
Then I'm stuck. I'm not sure about how to relate the vacuum energy, the cosmological constant and the critical density. Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the problem this way:

[tex]\rho_C = \frac{m_C^4c^5}{h^3}[/tex]

where the index C is for critical. You know a number for the critical density. Put it in and find m_C.

I know a number for the critical density?

You used to. Isn't it pretty closely related to H^2, H=70 km/sec/mpc? I won't put the error bars in there.

Is it the same critical density for the Planck scale then?
So the energy density and the matter density is the same?

I think the current universe is pretty far from the Planck scale. Your job to figure out how far. The problem says: vacuum energy is of the same order as the critical density NOW.

BTW are you sure the powers of h and c are correct in the expressions? I'm having unit problems...

The problem before this one is to express energy, length and time in terms of the Planck mass. I then got

[tex]E_P=m_Pc^2[/tex]
[tex]l_P=\frac{h}{m_Pc}[/tex]
[tex]t_P=\frac{h}{m_Pc^2}[/tex]

and to express energy density in terms of the Planck mass i used energy per unit volume

[tex]\frac{E_P}{V} \propto \frac{E_P}{l_P^3} = \frac{m_P^4c^5}{h^3}[/tex]

I'm not sure if this is correct.

It's correct. But we want the critical density as a matter density rather than an energy density to do this problem. Try m_p/l_p^3. Otherwise there's an extra c^2 around.

Or write the Freidmann eqn with rho_c/c^2. Your choice.

Then I get

[tex]\rho_c \propto \frac{m_P^4c^3}{h^3}[/tex]

and by using

[tex]\rho_c = \frac{3H_0^2}{8 \pi G}[/tex]

I get

[tex]m_P^4 \approx 1.379 \cdot 10^{-153}[/tex]

which cannot be correct. Maybe my powers are wrong somewhere but I don't think so..

You are not computing the Planck mass here. You already know what that is. You are computing the mass scale of the 'vacuum energy' aka 'dark energy'. I get something more like m=10^(-27) kg. rho=m/meter^3. Might want to check it again.

Last edited:
Ah ok, but my expression is ok then?

Logarythmic said:
[tex]m_P^4 \approx 1.379 \cdot 10^{-153}[/tex]

which cannot be correct. Maybe my powers are wrong somewhere but I don't think so..

Change this to [tex]m_c^4 \approx 1.379 \cdot 10^{-153} kg^4[/tex] and I'll say I pretty much believe you.

Damn it! The Hubble constant is

[tex]65 \cdot km \cdot s^{-1} \cdot Mpc^{-1} = 65 \cdot 10^3 \cdot m \cdot s^{-1} \cdot Mpc^{-1} = 65 \cdot 10^3 \cdot 10^{-6} \cdot m \cdot s^{-1} \cdot pc^{-1} =[/tex]
[tex]= 65 \cdot (3.0857)^{-1} \cdot 10^3 \cdot 10^{-6} \cdot 10^{-16} \cdot m \cdot s^{-1} \cdot m^{-1} = 65 \cdot (3.0857)^{-1} \cdot 10^3 \cdot 10^{-6} \cdot 10^{-16} \cdot s^{-1}[/tex]

right?

Then I get, using [itex]\bar{h} = h/2\pi[/itex],

[tex]m_P^4 = \frac{3H_0^2 \bar{h}}{8 \pi Gc^3} \approx \frac{3 \cdot (65 \cdot 10^3 \cdot 10^{-6} \cdot 10^{-16})^2 \cdot (6,626 \cdot 10^{-34})^3}{64 \pi^4 \cdot (3.0857)^2 \cdot 6.6726 \cdot 10^{-11} \cdot 27 \cdot 10^{24}} =[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{3 \cdot 290.907 \cdot 4225 \cdot 10^{-102} \cdot 10^6 \cdot 10^{-12} \cdot 10^{-32}}{64 \pi^4 \cdot 9.522 \cdot 6.6726 \cdot 27 \cdot 10^{-11} \cdot 10^{24}} =[/tex]

[tex]= 0.0345 \cdot 10^{-152}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow m_P \approx 0.431 \cdot 10^{-38}[/tex]

I'll look for something wrong with this.

Last edited:
You are STILL in the right ballpark providing the units are kg. But stop calling this the Planck mass! And start putting units on your masses! And the statement of the problem defined h=1, not hbar=1.

Ok, the statement of the problem should be h-bar, I was just lazy. ;)

Well. That explains why I wasn't getting exactly the same numbers as you...

Hehe sorry, and thanks again for your help.

1. What is vacuum energy density?

Vacuum energy density refers to the amount of energy per unit volume that exists in empty space. It is also known as the cosmological constant and is a fundamental concept in modern physics.

2. How is vacuum energy density related to mass?

According to the 4th power relation, the vacuum energy density is directly proportional to the mass of a particle to the fourth power. This means that as the mass of a particle increases, so does the vacuum energy density.

3. What is the significance of the 4th power relation?

The 4th power relation is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between mass and vacuum energy density. It also plays a crucial role in theories such as quantum field theory and the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. How does vacuum energy density impact the universe?

Vacuum energy density is believed to have a significant impact on the expansion of the universe. It is thought to contribute to the overall energy density of the universe and may play a role in the acceleration of the universe's expansion.

5. Can vacuum energy density be measured?

Currently, there is no direct way to measure vacuum energy density. However, its effects can be observed through its influence on the expansion of the universe and other physical phenomena. Scientists are still working on developing methods to measure it directly.