Convergence of Alternating Series with Tricky Terms

In summary, the first series does not satisfy the Alternating Series test, and the limit of the entire sum cannot be determined. Therefore, the series is divergent. For the second series, considering the terms in pairs and using the fact that 0 divided by any number (other than 0) is 0, the series can be rewritten as \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n+1)!}. This is an alternating series and can be tested using the Alternating Series test. Therefore, the second series converges.
Gauss177

Homework Statement

Test the series for convergence or divergence using the Alternating Series test:

1. sum of (-1)^n * n/(ln n)

2. sum of [sin(n*pi/2)]/n!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. lim of n/(ln n) goes to infinity (as n->infinity), so it can't satisfy the Alternating Series test. Then if I take limit of the entire sum, I can't figure out what it comes to. I think the limit doesn't exist so the whole thing is divergent, but I'm not sure how to get it.

2. No clue on this one, it's not in the "proper format" as the examples I've seen.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1. See if the taylor series for ln x helps.

2. Consider the terms of this series in pairs, n=0,1. What do you notice with the sin part?

EDIT: More clues, because i want to be generous :D

Whats zero divided by anything (other than zero)? You should be able to get that sum to now look like

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n+1)!}[/tex] Does that converge :)?

Last edited:
1. One of the first things you learn about series is that if an does NOT go to 0, then [itex]\Sigma a_n[/itex] does NOT converge.

2. Is this an alternating series? What is the "alternating series test"?

What is the Alternating Series Test?

The Alternating Series Test is a mathematical test used to determine whether an alternating series (a series in which the terms alternate in sign) converges or diverges.

What is the formula for the Alternating Series Test?

The formula for the Alternating Series Test is lim(n→∞) an = 0, where an is the nth term of the series.

How do you use the Alternating Series Test to determine convergence or divergence?

To use the Alternating Series Test, first check if the series satisfies the conditions of alternating signs and decreasing magnitude. Then, find the limit of the nth term as n approaches infinity. If the limit is equal to 0, the series converges. If the limit is not equal to 0, the series diverges.

What are the conditions for using the Alternating Series Test?

The conditions for using the Alternating Series Test are that the series must have alternating signs and the magnitude of the terms must be decreasing as n increases.

Can the Alternating Series Test be used to determine absolute convergence?

No, the Alternating Series Test can only be used to determine whether an alternating series converges or diverges, not whether it converges absolutely. To determine absolute convergence, other tests such as the Comparison Test or the Ratio Test must be used.