Eddy current braking system

In summary, the conversation is about a university project to design a roller coaster using a copper fin and permanent magnets. The speaker is unsure of how to calculate the mass of copper and strength of magnets needed for deceleration and is seeking help. A potential resource is a paper in IEEE transactions on magnetics.
bill nye scienceguy!
I have to try and design said system for a university project where we're designing a roller coaster. Basically its going to be a copper fin that will move between two magnets but I have no idea how to calculate the mass of copper and strength of magnet I'll need to decelerate the car sufficiently. I'm using permanent magnets rather than electro-magnets for safety reasons.

can anyone help?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do not multiple post your questions. I've deleted the other two threads you started in other forums, and left this one here. This is probably the most appropriate forum for your question, since it's a moderately advanced project, rather than standard homework.

1. What is an eddy current braking system?

An eddy current braking system is a type of electromagnetic braking system that uses the principle of electromagnetic induction to generate resistance and slow down or stop a moving object. It is commonly used in trains, roller coasters, and other vehicles.

2. How does an eddy current braking system work?

When an electrically conductive material, such as a metal disc, moves through a magnetic field, eddy currents are induced in the material. These eddy currents create a magnetic field that opposes the original magnetic field, generating resistance and slowing down the object.

3. What are the advantages of using an eddy current braking system?

One advantage of an eddy current braking system is that it does not require physical contact between the braking components, reducing wear and tear. It also allows for precise control of braking force and can be used to dissipate excess energy, making it more efficient than traditional friction brakes.

4. What are the limitations of an eddy current braking system?

An eddy current braking system is not suitable for heavy or high-speed vehicles, as the resistance generated may not be enough to slow down or stop them effectively. It also requires a power source to generate the magnetic field, making it less reliable in the event of a power failure.

5. How does an eddy current braking system compare to other braking systems?

An eddy current braking system is often compared to traditional friction brakes, as both are used for slowing down or stopping moving objects. However, eddy current brakes have the advantage of being more precise and efficient, while friction brakes are better suited for heavy or high-speed vehicles.