Total power and specific heat

In summary: Now, all you need to do is multiply the power per unit area by the area to get power.So, in summary, the specific heat of the leaf, its mass, and the power per unit area from the Sun are given. To find the rate of temperature rise of the leaf, we use the equation Q=mc(deltaT) where Q is the power, m is the mass, and c is the specific heat. We then multiply the power per unit area by the leaf's area to get the power, and solve for deltaT. The correct answer is 7.88 degrees Celsius per second.
kbyws37
If the total power per unit area from the Sun incident on a horizontal leaf is 9.00x10^2 W/m2, and we assume that 70.0% of this energy goes into heating the leaf, what would be the rate of temperature rise of the leaf? The specific heat of the leaf is 2.80 kJ/(kg°C), the leaf area is 7.00 x10^−3 m2, and its mass is 0.200 g.

I don't know what equation to use.
I tried using

Power = kA (Temp/d)
but did not get the right answer.

The right answer is 7.88 degree celsius per sec.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that's the right answer? It seems pretty big (or fast).

hage567 said:
Are you sure that's the right answer? It seems pretty big (or fast).

yup, it says that is the correct answer

Well, I would use Q=mc(deltaT).

The rate of change of thermal energy is the power.

I don't quite get the same answer as the book though, I get 7.88x10^-4 oC/s. (which is much more reasonable, in my opinion)

hage567 said:
Well, I would use Q=mc(deltaT).

The rate of change of thermal energy is the power.

I don't quite get the same answer as the book though, I get 7.88x10^-4 oC/s. (which is much more reasonable, in my opinion)

If I were to use the equation
Q=mc(deltaT).

Q = (9.00 x 10^2 W/m2) * 0.7 (would this be right b/c it's 70% of energy?)
m= 0.200 g
c= 2.80 kJ/(kg C)
(delta T) = what we are looking for

Where woul the leaf area fit into the picture?

can anyone help please?

Technically, since your working with power your equation should be;

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt} = mc\Delta T[/tex]

Now, you've done everything correctly up to now. So, if the sun emits 9.00 x 10^2 watts per square meter; much power falls on a leaf with an area of 7.00 x10^−3 square meters?

Hootenanny said:
Technically, since your working with power your equation should be;

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt} = mc\Delta T[/tex]

Now, you've done everything correctly up to now. So, if the sun emits 9.00 x 10^2 watts per square meter; much power falls on a leaf with an area of 7.00 x10^−3 square meters?

sorry i don't understand the hints.
i did 7.00 x10^−3 / 9.00 x 10^2 watts for dQ/dt
and plugged in m and c and solved for delta T.
still not getting the right answer

Your very close here;
kbyws37 said:
7.00 x10^−3 / 9.00 x 10^2 watts for dQ/dt
But why are you dividing the area by the power per unit area when you want power? Let's have a look at the units;

[tex]area = m^2[/tex]

[tex]\text{power per unit area}=\frac{W}{m^2}[/tex]

[tex]\text{power}= \frac{dQ}{dt}=W[/tex]

1. What is total power?

Total power refers to the amount of energy that is used or produced in a given amount of time. It is measured in watts (W) and can be calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (A).

2. How is specific heat defined?

Specific heat is a measure of the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. It is usually measured in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

3. What is the relationship between total power and specific heat?

Total power and specific heat are not directly related to each other. Total power is a measure of energy, while specific heat is a measure of how much energy is needed to raise the temperature of a substance. However, they both play important roles in thermodynamics and heat transfer processes.

4. How does specific heat affect the temperature of a substance?

The specific heat of a substance determines how much energy is required to change its temperature. Substances with a high specific heat require more energy to raise their temperature, while substances with a low specific heat require less energy. This is why some materials feel hotter or colder to the touch even when they are at the same temperature.

5. How can total power and specific heat be used in practical applications?

Total power and specific heat are important considerations in various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and physics. They are used to calculate the efficiency of energy systems, design heating and cooling systems, and understand the behavior of different substances under different temperature conditions.