Install Windows XP on Another PC Legally?

In summary: He might not be a big fan of the "root" deal.Compatibility? He might not be a big fan of the "root" deal.If you could get a hold of a Windows 2000 copy you can bypass all of the activation codes and serial keys and such.In summary, you can not install it on another computer. I know this from experiance. Unless there is some coding that has to be done, when the disc is in it just says that there is no bootable disc. I know that you could use the Dell disc on unlimited amounts of Dell PC's because I have done so, but not on other PCs. I tried on an IBM with no luck.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If I have a licensed copy of Windows XP on CD and I still have the produce license key on the bottom of my Dell laptop (which is slowly falling apart), can I install this version of Windows on a another PC, and would that be legal? The reason I ask is because I'm pretty sure the disc packaging says "for sale only with a Dell PC", but that could be just a directive to the retailer not to distribute the discs ad hoc.

Computer science news on Phys.org
No, you can not install it on another computer. I know this from experiance. Unless there is some coding that has to be done, when the disc is in it just says that there is no bootable disc. I know that you could use the Dell disc on unlimited amounts of Dell PC's because I have done so, but not on other PCs. I tried on an IBM with no luck.

Damn...=D

Okay, thanks for the info!

No problem. I was really upset when I found that out the hard-way too :[.

Hmm..interesting. Okay. Maybe I'll try that...

If you could get a hold of a Windows 2000 copy you can bypass all of the activation codes and serial keys and such.

Stevedye56 said:
If you could get a hold of a Windows 2000 copy you can bypass all of the activation codes and serial keys and such.

How's that? (I don't know anything about Windows 2000.)

One day you guys'll have to explain to me why you put up with this, given how far free OSs have come.

Your copy of windows probably has an OEM key, which is only legal to run on your dell computer.

To check this, right click on "My Computer," hit "properties." System Properties will come up. Under "Registered to:" you should see your name and under that something like 43534-OEM-2343243-234234. If it has "OEM," then if you use that cd key to install to another computer, your windows will not activate and will stop working after 30 days. If it doesn't say OEM, then if you get ahold of another copy of windows, you can install it on another computer and use that key with no problems. (so long as you don't run both computers, downloading updates. If you do that, windows will invalidate your cd key and prevent you from downloading any further updates).

Last edited:
Thrice said:
One day you guys'll have to explain to me why you put up with this, given how far free OSs have come.

Compatibility? He might not be a big fan of the "root" deal.

Cepheid- is your copy of XP the reinstall disc? Or is it the actual disc used to install the software? Also the Windows 2000 thing isn't all that complicated but it does take a little time. There is a new free version of windows out called Windows Essentials 2. I have a friend who tried it out and said it was pretty good.

Was my reply edited?

Yes, it was edited by the Admins, the reason is on the post.

Yes, my copy of Windows has an OEM key, so that's that. Thanks for the information!

BoredNL said:
Your copy of windows probably has an OEM key, which is only legal to run on your dell computer.

To check this, right click on "My Computer," hit "properties." System Properties will come up. Under "Registered to:" you should see your name and under that something like 43534-OEM-2343243-234234. If it has "OEM," then if you use that cd key to install to another computer, your windows will not activate and will stop working after 30 days. If it doesn't say OEM, then if you get ahold of another copy of windows, you can install it on another computer and use that key with no problems. (so long as you don't run both computers, downloading updates. If you do that, windows will invalidate your cd key and prevent you from downloading any further updates).

Stevedye56 said:
Compatibility? He might not be a big fan of the "root" deal.

I have some experience with UNIX and Linux...but I'm no expert, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to make the leap. In any case, that is a decision I can make if and when it becomes time to buy a new laptop. (At the rate that various hardware elements are failing, that might be sooner than I first thought).

Stevedye56 said:
Cepheid- is your copy of XP the reinstall disc? Or is it the actual disc used to install the software? Also the Windows 2000 thing isn't all that complicated but it does take a little time. There is a new free version of windows out called Windows Essentials 2. I have a friend who tried it out and said it was pretty good.

I don't know. The disc is at my parents' place...in another city at the moment. I'll have to check it out when I'm next there.

Stevedye56 said:
Yes, it was edited by the Admins, the reason is on the post.

Oh! There it is. I've never noticed that before.

I wasn't really "advocating" illegal activities though, I was just explaining how it is done. lol I don't condone illegal activities. (unless I'm doing them, of course. lol)

1. How can I legally install Windows XP on another PC?

To legally install Windows XP on another PC, you must have a valid license for the operating system. This can be obtained by purchasing a new copy of Windows XP or by transferring the license from an old PC that is no longer in use.

2. Can I use a Windows XP installation disc from another computer?

No, it is not legal to use an installation disc from another computer to install Windows XP on a different PC. The license for Windows XP is tied to the specific computer it was originally installed on.

3. Are there any restrictions on installing Windows XP on multiple PCs?

Yes, the license for Windows XP only allows for installation on one computer at a time. If you want to install it on another PC, you must transfer the license from the original computer or purchase a new copy of the operating system.

4. Can I still get support for Windows XP if I install it on another PC?

No, Microsoft no longer provides support for Windows XP. This means that even if you install it legally on another PC, you will not be able to get technical support or security updates from Microsoft.

5. Is it possible to upgrade from a previous version of Windows to Windows XP on another PC?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from a previous version of Windows to Windows XP on another PC as long as you have a valid license for the operating system. However, it is recommended to do a clean installation of Windows XP for better performance and stability.