Calculating Magnets for 140-160llbs Weight - Michael

In summary, Michael is trying to create a hoverboard using magnets. He does not have any knowledge of physics, and so asks for help from those who do.
djemboy2
hello
i just joined this forum and it looks to be very very useful, particularly on the tests that i am about to commence, i have a question i need answering and i hope some one can, i need to calculate how large a magnet i would need to support the weight of a human being, i am looking to use neodymium permanent magnets at grade n52 for the initial testing, the weight needed to be supported will be about 140-160llbs, being a complete dolt as far as physics goes i thought i would turn to those who can do this in their sleep, hope you can help
Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
djemboy2 said:
hello
i just joined this forum and it looks to be very very useful, particularly on the tests that i am about to commence, i have a question i need answering and i hope some one can, i need to calculate how large a magnet i would need to support the weight of a human being, i am looking to use neodymium permanent magnets at grade n52 for the initial testing, the weight needed to be supported will be about 140-160llbs, being a complete dolt as far as physics goes i thought i would turn to those who can do this in their sleep, hope you can help
Michael

absolutely humongous, i don't think there are permanent magnets that big. i know that at the high field magnet lab at fsu they have the highest field magnet 45T and it could lift a frog and it is two stories tall

thankyou

Wel that answers my question i guess

The force between two identical flat faced magnets of cross-section A and strength M (in gauss) is given by F=2pi M^2 A, which should equal mg.
Put in some numbers.

Thankyou meir

Thankyou for the equation but the problem is you might as well have told me the way to the local 7 eleven in chinese, i really have no working knowledge of physics, all i have is my ideas, so to further enlighten you as much as i can here's what i am attempting to do, i believe i have found a way to make a hoverboard simalar to those used in back to the future, don't worry my next project isn't going to be self tieing shoes, but ist not a hoverboard in as such it is completely free floating, even i know i would need a lot more than that, such as a good special effects team and a decent camera man, but i do believe i have the next best thing, and i think that with 12-16 super magnets(i found these on the united nuclear website, and they are the biggest i have seen for sale to date http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm) i believe that a human beings weight can be supported, i am not looking to lift a person, just allow them to stand on a board the is being levitated by its repulsive field, if i can achieve stable equilibrium then the next phase will go into testing, but for now if someone could have a look at these super magnets and tell me if they are worth purchasing and if the number i plan to purchase will be sufficient.
i cannot thankyou enough fopr the help
Michael

why use magnet to do waht you have in mind, when compressed air can do the same job even better, like a hovercraft.. and regarding the answer that in order to lift a human being one would need a magnet as big as a house, well that may be true to just about everyone, but i am working on something like this and well have a look and you see waht i mean
www.myspace.com/mfescience[/URL] thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
p.s. please, please bear in mind that magnet are pretty powerful even those that are no biger than your palm, specialy when they are together with one another, .. so always take extreme care and keep away well away other metal objects, to stop accidently.hmmm you know...lol

1. How do you determine the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet is determined by its magnetic field, which is measured in units of Gauss or Tesla. The higher the magnetic field, the stronger the magnet.

2. What factors affect the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet can be affected by its size, shape, and the material it is made of. The stronger the magnetic material, the stronger the magnet will be.

3. How do I calculate the strength of a magnet for a specific weight?

To calculate the strength of a magnet for a specific weight, you will need to know the magnetic field strength required for that weight. You can then use the equation B = (μ0 * m) / (4π * r^3) to calculate the required magnetic field strength, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, m is the magnetic moment of the magnet, and r is the distance between the magnet and the weight.

4. What is the maximum weight a 140-160llbs magnet can hold?

The maximum weight a 140-160llbs magnet can hold will depend on the strength of the magnet and the material it is attracted to. It is important to note that the weight of the magnet itself will also need to be taken into consideration when calculating the maximum weight it can hold.

5. How can I increase the strength of a magnet for a specific weight?

To increase the strength of a magnet for a specific weight, you can use a stronger magnetic material or increase the size of the magnet. You can also decrease the distance between the magnet and the weight, as this will increase the magnetic field strength at that point.