Counting Seating Arrangments of Couples at a Round Table

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of counting seating arrangements of couples at a round table. The solution involves thinking of each married couple as a single entity and arranging the remaining unpaired individuals around the table. The formula used is (20 - n - 1)! where n represents the number of married couples. There is also a discussion on the confusion of the formula and the importance of the ordering of the pairs.
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Counting Seating Arrangments of Couples at a Round Table

I'm reading this example in my probability book which is I'm not understanding. It says:

There are 19! ways of arranging 20 people around a table. The number of arrangements that result in a specified set of n men sitting next to their wives can most easily be obtained by first thinking of each of the n married couples as being single entities. If this were the case, then we would need to arrange 20 - n entities around a round table, and there are clearly (20 - n - 1)! such arrangements.

There are 10 married couples by the way. The "20 - n entities" part is bugging me. Shouldn't that be 10 - n, given that there are 10 entities/married couples. I also don't understand how the (20 - n - 1)! part follows.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why ist it 10-n? If there is one married couple, there are 18 singletons, hence 19 objects to arrange (amazing what thinking of an example can do..). Thus if there are n couples hence how many single people? Now how many 'objects' are you arranging in a circle?

matt grime said:
Thus if there are n couples hence how many single people? Now how many 'objects' are you arranging in a circle?

Technically, there are no single people (they're all in couples). However, if n of the couples have already been seated, then there are 20 - 2n seats around the table for the remaining 10 - n couples or 20 - 2n people.

Last edited:
What does that show? (Apart from the fact that you seem to be focussed on the wrong thing.)

To be honest, I just don't understand the explanation. Here's how I would count the seating arrangements:

First, I would pick an ordering of the pairs and number them 1 through 20. Then I would sit pair 1 by first picking a seat for the woman and then picking a side for the man. This can be done in one of 20 * 2 ways.

Then I proceed with pair 2. The woman can sit in one of 18 ways. In 2 of those ways, the man is forced to sit in one spot. For the other 16 locations, the man can sit to the right or left. Hence, there are 2 + 16 * 2 ways to sit pair 2.

For pair 3, things get someone more complicated because I have to take into account of where pairs 1 and 2 are sitting. Ditto for pairs 4 - 10.

Forget the married status or otherwise of the objects.

1. There are 20 objects,

2. we pair up 2n of them in n pairs.

3. We wish to arrange these n pairs and 20-2n remaining unpaired items in a circle.

4.That is we have 20-2n+n=20-n things to put in a circle

5. which can be done (20-n-1)! ways.

which of 1-5 is confusing?

Notice that the question does not distinguish between the order of the two objects in a pair, just that they are paired.

OK. I understand now. 3 had me confused because I thought it didn't make any sense to arrange paired and unpaired objects. Thank you.

1. How many different seating arrangements are possible for 4 couples at a round table?

There are 24 different seating arrangements for 4 couples at a round table. This can be calculated by using the formula n!/2, where n is the number of people (in this case, 8) and the division by 2 accounts for the fact that the table is round and can be rotated.

2. What is the total number of seating arrangements for 10 couples at a round table?

The total number of seating arrangements for 10 couples at a round table is 181,440. This can be calculated by using the formula n!/2, where n is the number of people (in this case, 20) and the division by 2 accounts for the fact that the table is round and can be rotated.

3. Is there a difference in the number of seating arrangements for an even number of couples versus an odd number of couples?

Yes, there is a difference. For an even number of couples, the total number of seating arrangements will always be a factor of 2 more compared to an odd number of couples. This is because in an even number of couples, the rotation of the table can be divided evenly, while in an odd number of couples, it cannot.

4. How many seating arrangements are possible if some couples must sit next to each other?

If some couples must sit next to each other, the number of seating arrangements will depend on the specific couples that must sit together. However, it will always be a smaller number compared to the total number of possible seating arrangements. This can be calculated by using the formula (n-k+1)!*k!, where n is the total number of people and k is the number of couples that must sit together.

5. Can the seating arrangements be calculated for a rectangular table instead of a round table?

Yes, the seating arrangements for couples at a rectangular table can also be calculated. However, the formula used will be different as the table is no longer round and can have multiple rotations. The formula for calculating seating arrangements at a rectangular table is (n-1)!/(k!(n-k)!), where n is the total number of people and k is the number of couples sitting together.