Exploring the Theory of Gravity and the Spiral Nature of the Universe

• Thread starter Wonderballs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the blanket analogy of mass creating a curve in spacetime which objects of smaller mass rotate about is thought to be gravity, but mainstream cosmological models and observations suggest that the universe doesn't have a center at large scales and that mass and energy distribute throughout space uniformly. The analogy just represents the curvature of space, and once all matter gets to the center again, a "Big Bang" would happen again.
Wonderballs
So I stumbled upon a video on the internet which made an analogy of mass creating a curve in the blanket of spacetime in which objects of smaller mass rotated about it. Which lead me to believe this is gravity. But aren't there billions upon billions of things within the universe which have mass? The correct answer is yes. So it got me thinking that the whole universe is a downward cone towards it's center while the smaller masses create ripples along the sides of the cone while we are all spiraling towards its centre slowly and surely (over vast amounts of time... hence spacetime) and once all matter gets to the centre again, Big Bang again... now I'm not sure what would cause a "Big Bang" but this is what i trailed off towards when my proffesser started the lesson with "Work is equal the amo..." then i tuned out and started thinking of cooler things... I had to write that down somewhere.

Now I'm by no means master of math, but I think my theories are along the right lines.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been thought of before. Observation disagrees.

Mkay,thanks i guess.

Wonderballs said:
So it got me thinking that the whole universe is a downward cone towards it's center
According to mainstream cosmological models and observations, the universe doesn't have a "center", at large scales the distribution of mass and energy is thought to be pretty uniform throughout space. Also, you shouldn't take the blanket analogy too literally, the analogy just represents the curvature of space but it's actually spacetime that's curved by mass/energy in general relativity (and it's just the curvature that determines the paths of objects, the fact that the curved region is represented as a depression that things fall 'down' into has nothing to do with the actual physics, you could represent the influence of gravity in terms of bumps rather than depressions and the analogy would be no less accurate).

Think in terms of a two dimensional universe - the surface of an expanding balloon - there is no center - so there is no reason for matter to collect at one place. Our three dimensional universe doesn't have a center either ...according to the cosmological principle it looks the same from any point

Thanks guys, I just call them as I see them.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory and how does it explain the origins of the universe?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origins of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a hot and dense point, and expanded rapidly about 13.8 billion years ago. This explosion created matter, energy, and space, and the universe has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. What evidence supports the Big Bang Theory?

There are several lines of evidence that support the Big Bang Theory, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements, and the redshift of galaxies. The cosmic microwave background radiation is a faint glow of radiation that permeates the entire universe, which is considered to be the leftover thermal energy from the Big Bang. The abundance of light elements, such as hydrogen and helium, is also consistent with what would be expected from the Big Bang. Additionally, the redshift of galaxies, or the stretching of light waves, suggests that the universe is expanding.

3. What existed before the Big Bang?

Since the Big Bang is considered the beginning of the universe, it is difficult to determine what existed before it. Some theories propose that there was a previous universe that collapsed and then exploded into the Big Bang, while others suggest that time and space did not exist before the Big Bang. However, there is currently no conclusive evidence to support any theories about what existed before the Big Bang.

4. What is dark matter and how does it relate to the origins of the universe?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes. It is estimated that dark matter makes up about 27% of the universe, while normal matter (such as stars and galaxies) only makes up about 5%. Dark matter is important in the origins of the universe because it is believed to have played a crucial role in the formation of galaxies and other structures in the early universe.

5. Are there other theories besides the Big Bang Theory for the origins of the universe?

Yes, there are other theories that have been proposed to explain the origins of the universe, such as the Steady State Theory and the Inflationary Theory. The Steady State Theory suggests that the universe has always existed in a steady state, with matter constantly being created to maintain its density. The Inflationary Theory proposes that the universe expanded rapidly in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang, which can explain some of the observed features of the universe, such as its uniform temperature.