Undergrad Physics and Mathematics (Pure) or Undergrad in ME

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's dilemma between choosing a career in engineering or pursuing math and physics for research. They have three questions regarding the compatibility of a B.Sc in Math and Physics with a masters in engineering, the importance of specialization in a specific branch of physics for an engineering career, and the possibility of studying mechanical engineering at the undergraduate level and then pursuing a masters in aerospace. The conversation also includes a discussion on the speaker's university requirements for majoring in both math and physics, the possibility of switching from engineering to math or physics, and the accreditation of a professional engineer through graduate studies in engineering.
BadlyAddicted
Hi,

Lately I've been having second thoughts about whether I want to pursue a career in engineering or a career in math and physics and end up doing research. So here are three questions which i'd like being answered :)

1. Let's say I get a B.Sc in Mathematics and Physics, will I then be able to do a masters in a particular branch of engineering? Such as aerospace engineering, or my qualifications wouldn't meet the requirements of such course?

2. I know that in an undergrad program in maths and physics one has to speciailize in a particular branch of physics. Does it really matter in which branch you speciailize if later you end up doing engineering? (such as ME, EE or Aerospace)

3. Would it be better to study ME at undegrad and continue doing a masters in Aerospace or something similar later on? (this is only happening if I end up deciding before I enter university)

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
BadlyAddicted said:
2. I know that in an undergrad program in maths and physics one has to speciailize in a particular branch of physics.

No, you don't. You just get a general "physics" or "math" degree.

No, you don't. You just get a general "physics" or "math" degree.

Maths _OR_ Physics? My university says that the candidate can choose any 2 subjects to major in (from the sciences group) and math and physics are in the same group. so I guess you get a degree in Math and Physics not in one of them.. or maybe I'm mistaken

I'm on a maths and physics course in the UK, so here's the way it works for me.
I have absolutely no choice of modules in the 1st and 2nd years, because there's core material I have to cover in both subjects: Classical mechanics, waves and oscillations, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, statistical mechanics, the structure of matter, special relativity, labwork (etc.) for physics, and linear algebra, probability, analysis and calculus of single, many and complex variables in maths. In 3rd year I choose 3 maths courses from about 8 options, and in physics 2 of my 3 modules are compulsory and I have a choice between a module in Stars and Galaxies or one in theoretical physics. Then in 4th year I can do whatever I like in both, provided that I take a project in one of the subjects, and I have to have studied theoretical physics in third or fourth year.

muppet, that sounds very similar to what I had in mind. But after completing your undergrad program, can you enter a mechanical engineering graduate program for example? or?

I'm more theoretically minded myself, so I can't say that's something I've ever looked into. I have heard in conversation of people doing undergrad physics degrees then a PhD in engineering though. My advice would be to suggest that most places give you some idea of their entry requirements on their webpages; I'd find a few courses you might consider doing and see what they ask for. (Apart from anything else, this might give you a better idea of what direction you want to head in!) My best guess would be that you would find it easier to be accepted onto a postgrad course in ME after doing physics than to be accepted onto a physics/math course (say like the cambridge part III) with an engineering degree, but don't quote me on that!

why don't you go into an engineering program and take math and physics electives that sound interesting to you?

i can't speak for other schools, but for mine, it's easier to switch into math or physics out of engineering than the other way.

also, i don't think going to grad school in engineering necessarily gets you accredited as a professional engineer, just that the research you'd be doing would be related to engineering problems.

BadlyAddicted said:
Maths _OR_ Physics? My university says that the candidate can choose any 2 subjects to major in (from the sciences group) and math and physics are in the same group. so I guess you get a degree in Math and Physics not in one of them.. or maybe I'm mistaken

No, you can do both, all I'm saying is that you don't specialize in "Nuclear Physics" or something like that in undergrad. You just get a general "physics" degree.

1. What is the difference between Undergrad Physics and Mathematics (Pure) and Undergrad in ME?

Undergrad Physics and Mathematics (Pure) is a degree program that focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of physics and mathematics. It provides a strong foundation in both subjects and prepares students for graduate studies in these fields. On the other hand, Undergrad in ME (Mechanical Engineering) is a degree program that focuses on the application of physics and mathematics principles to design, analyze, and manufacture mechanical systems. It is a more specialized degree that prepares students for careers in the mechanical engineering industry.

2. What kind of courses can I expect to take in Undergrad Physics and Mathematics (Pure)?

Some common courses in this degree program include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, linear algebra, differential equations, and mathematical analysis. These courses will provide a strong theoretical foundation in physics and mathematics, as well as develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the career options for graduates of Undergrad in ME?

Graduates of Undergrad in ME can pursue a variety of career paths such as mechanical engineer, design engineer, project engineer, research and development engineer, and manufacturing engineer. They can also work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, and robotics.

4. Is it possible to double major in Undergrad Physics and Mathematics (Pure) and Undergrad in ME?

Yes, it is possible to double major in these two fields. However, it may require careful planning and a heavier course load. Some universities also offer a joint degree program where students can earn a degree in both fields simultaneously.

5. What skills and qualities are important for success in Undergrad in ME?

Some important skills and qualities for success in Undergrad in ME include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, creativity, attention to detail, good communication and teamwork skills, and a passion for learning and applying scientific principles to real-world problems.