Too many math/science classes?

• Thread starter bubbles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, the speaker is taking a heavy course load of calculus, physics, computer science, and life science classes with labs. They are having difficulty memorizing the material, especially in math and physics due to the large number of equations. The homework load is manageable, but the classes are time consuming. The speaker is wondering if they are taking too many math and science classes and what is a good number of classes per quarter. They also question if schools on a semester system are easier due to the classes being more spread out. The answer depends on the individual and their preferences.
bubbles
I'm taking calculus, physics, com sci, physics lab, and a life science class w/ lab this quarter and I feel like I'm having a hard time memorizing all that material I'm being taught, especially for math and physics since there are so many equations in physics. The homework load is manageable so far, but math, physics, and computer science are all very time consuming classes. How do I know whether I'm taking too many math and science classes? What is a good number of math and science classes per quarter? Also, are schools that are on a semester system necessarily easier (in terms of having math and science classes more spread out)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, are schools that are on a semester system necessarily easier (in terms of having math and science classes more spread out)?

It really depends on you. I was taking a semester long course in differential equations at a local community college -- considered to be the best in the state -- at the same time I was "taking" the MIT open courseware DifEq course. In about 10 MIT classes I learned everything that my classmates did in 15 weeks. Frankly, I preferred the former, so it really depends on you and your school.

I understand your concerns about taking too many math and science classes. It is important to find a balance between challenging yourself and not overwhelming yourself with too much material to memorize. It is also important to prioritize your time and focus on understanding the concepts rather than just memorizing equations.

In terms of determining whether you are taking too many math and science classes, it ultimately depends on your individual abilities and workload. It may be helpful to speak with your academic advisor or a professor to discuss your course load and see if adjustments can be made.

There is no set number of math and science classes that is considered "good" for every student. It really depends on your strengths, interests, and goals. Some students may thrive with a heavier course load while others may struggle. It is important to listen to your own needs and make adjustments accordingly.

As for schools on a semester system, it is not necessarily easier in terms of having math and science classes more spread out. Both quarter and semester systems have their own advantages and disadvantages. It is important to research and understand the differences between the two and choose a system that works best for you.

In general, my advice would be to prioritize understanding the concepts rather than just memorizing equations, manage your time effectively, and seek help from professors or tutors if needed. It is also important to take care of your mental and physical health while balancing a heavy course load. Remember, it is okay to make adjustments and find a course load that works best for you.

1. What are the potential consequences of taking too many math/science classes?

Taking too many math/science classes can lead to burnout, stress, and a lack of balance in your academic schedule. It may also limit your opportunities to explore other subjects and develop well-rounded skills.

2. How do I know if I am taking too many math/science classes?

If you find yourself constantly overwhelmed and struggling to keep up with the workload, it may be a sign that you are taking on too many math/science classes. Additionally, if you have no time for extracurricular activities or hobbies, it may be a sign that your schedule is too focused on these subjects.

3. Can taking too many math/science classes negatively impact my GPA?

It is possible that taking too many math/science classes can negatively impact your GPA if you are struggling to keep up with the workload or if you are not genuinely interested in these subjects. However, if you are passionate and skilled in these areas, it is possible to maintain a high GPA even with a heavy course load.

4. How can I balance my schedule if I need to take multiple math/science classes for my major?

If you are required to take multiple math/science classes for your major, it is important to prioritize your time and create a schedule that allows for breaks and self-care. Consider talking to your advisor about finding a balance between core requirements and elective courses that align with your interests.

5. Are there any benefits to taking too many math/science classes?

While there can be negative consequences to taking too many math/science classes, there are also potential benefits. These subjects can enhance critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are valuable in many fields. Additionally, taking advanced or diverse math/science courses can help you stand out to potential employers or graduate schools.