Micro tensile testing machines

In summary, the individual is looking to design and build a micro-tensile tester for testing human hair properties as part of a university class. They need help with designing the grippers and finding resources for non-contact extensiometers, as well as addressing issues such as measurement of the test piece and potential slipping of bio-materials during extension. They are seeking any first-hand information or resources that could assist with their project.
MightyG
looking to design and hopefully build a micro-tensile tester to test the properties of human hair.

as part of my uni class I need to design the grippers involved and have a look at non contact extensiometers.

Could anyone point me in the right direction with some links or books? or even provide some first hand info?

the problems I can think of atm that I don't have much of an idea how to get about are measurement of the test piece and the fact that the cross sectional area of bio-materials normally reduces dramatically with extension so the could possibly slip out of the grips.

any help would be very appreciated :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi there
Even i am doing a very similar project. Could you please help me with it.

MightyG said:
looking to design and hopefully build a micro-tensile tester to test the properties of human hair.

as part of my uni class I need to design the grippers involved and have a look at non contact extensiometers.

Could anyone point me in the right direction with some links or books? or even provide some first hand info?

the problems I can think of atm that I don't have much of an idea how to get about are measurement of the test piece and the fact that the cross sectional area of bio-materials normally reduces dramatically with extension so the could possibly slip out of the grips.

any help would be very appreciated :)

I would recommend starting by researching existing micro-tensile testing machines and their features. This will give you a better understanding of the design and components involved. Additionally, you can reach out to manufacturers or experts in the field for guidance and advice.

In terms of designing the grippers, it would be important to consider the material properties of human hair and how it behaves under tension. This can help determine the type of grip and force required for accurate testing.

For non-contact extensometers, I would suggest looking into optical or laser-based systems, as these can provide precise measurements without physically touching the hair sample.

In terms of resources, there are various textbooks and articles available on the design and use of micro-tensile testing machines. It may also be helpful to attend conferences or workshops related to this topic to learn from industry experts and network with other researchers.

Regarding the potential issue of the hair slipping out of the grips, this could be addressed by using specialized grips or by designing a clamping system that minimizes slippage. Additionally, considering the sample size and shape can also help prevent slipping.

I hope this helps guide you in your design process. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is a micro tensile testing machine?

A micro tensile testing machine is a scientific instrument used to measure the mechanical properties of small samples, typically on the scale of micrometers. It can apply controlled amounts of tension to a sample and measure the resulting deformation and force, providing valuable information about the material's strength, elasticity, and ductility.

2. What are the applications of micro tensile testing machines?

Micro tensile testing machines have various applications in material science, engineering, and biomedical research. They are used to test the strength and durability of materials such as metals, plastics, and composites. They are also utilized in the development and quality control of new materials and products, as well as in the study of biological tissues and biomaterials.

3. How does a micro tensile testing machine work?

A micro tensile testing machine works by securing a small sample between two clamps and then applying a controlled amount of tension until the sample breaks. During the test, the machine measures the force and deformation of the sample, providing data on its mechanical properties. Modern micro tensile testing machines often use advanced software and sensors to enhance precision and accuracy.

4. What are the advantages of using a micro tensile testing machine?

Micro tensile testing machines offer several advantages over traditional tensile testing machines. They can test smaller and more delicate samples without damaging them, providing more accurate and reliable data. They also require less material and can perform tests in a shorter time, making them more cost-effective and efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to micro tensile testing machines?

Like any scientific instrument, micro tensile testing machines have limitations that researchers should be aware of. The size and shape of the sample can affect the accuracy of the results, and the clamping mechanism may introduce errors. Additionally, these machines are not suitable for testing large or bulky samples, and they may not be able to replicate real-life conditions accurately.