Analytic Functions and the Gauss Mean Value Theorem: Proving an Inequality

In summary, the problem is to prove that for any analytic function f in the disk with radius 1, the absolute value of f(0) squared is less than or equal to the reciprocal of pi times the integral of the absolute value of f(z) squared over the disk with radius r. The hint is to apply the Gauss mean value theorem. There may be confusion about the inequality due to the real and complex numbers involved, but this can be resolved by considering the absolute values of both sides.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let f be analytic in the disk |z| <= 1. Prove that for any 0 < r < 1,

[tex]
|f(0)|^2 <= \frac{1}{\pi r^2} \int \int_{x^2 + y^2 <= r^2} |f(z)|^2 dxdy [/tex]

Homework Equations

The hint is apply the Gauss mean value theorem on [tex]f^2(z)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Having difficulty starting this one. Any hints?

All I've got is

[tex]
f^2(0) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int(f^2(z))d\theta [/tex]

By applying the Gauss mean value theorem. Then I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean to have an f^2(z) inside of your first integral as well, correct? Otherwise, it's obviously false.

Sorry, fixed it now.

Sorry to be dense. I'm running a little slow this time of night. But the quantity on the right hand side of the inequality is complex. The number on the left is real. It doesn't make much sense to say a real is less than a complex. Actually, my confusion should be giving you some hints.

lol I'm the one being dense. Fixed it for good this time.

My point is that there HAS to be an absolute value on both sides. Another hint is that if you leave the absolute values out, both sides are actually equal. Put the absolute values back in and show the inequality.

The absolute value of the integral of a complex function over a domain is less than or equal to the integral of the absolute value of the complex function over the domain. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.

Ok thanks I'll have another go at it.

1. What are complex variables and why are they important?

Complex variables are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. They are important in mathematics and physics because they allow for the representation and manipulation of functions that cannot be expressed in terms of real numbers alone.

2. What is the difference between a complex function and a real function?

A complex function is a function that takes in a complex input and produces a complex output, whereas a real function takes in a real input and produces a real output. Complex functions are more versatile and can exhibit behaviors that real functions cannot.

3. What are the most common methods for solving complex variables problems?

The most common methods for solving complex variables problems include using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, and power series expansions. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of problems.

4. How are complex variables used in engineering and physics?

Complex variables are used in engineering and physics to model and analyze systems with multiple variables, such as electrical circuits and fluid flow. They also play a crucial role in quantum mechanics and signal processing.

5. Can complex variables be visualized?

Yes, complex variables can be visualized using complex planes, which represent the real and imaginary components on the x and y axes, respectively. This allows for a graphical understanding of complex functions and their behavior.