Oil & Water - the horrible mix

• Thread starter androol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of determining the concentration of vegetable oil in dilute oil-water emulsions that contain gas bubbles. The density method was attempted, but the presence of water vaporizing made it difficult to get accurate results. The individual asks if there is a faster and easier method, such as chromatography, to determine the concentration. The suggestion is made to add THF or a mixture of ethyl acetate and ethanol to break the emulsion, and then use a Karl-Fisher titration to determine the water content in the diluted sample.
androol
I've been trying to determine the concentration of a vegie oil (0.9 g/mL) in dilute(~2,4 w%) oil-water emulsions that are badly aerated and with gas bubbles.

I tried the density method, weighing the samples and then vacuum suck them to rid the bubbles - in order to get an accurate volume reading. But then I realized that water was vaporizing a little. and the dilute samples make the determination really hard.

Is there a way that's fast and easy to do that? chromotography?

Please help me... on my knees...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Add THF or a mixture of ethyl acetate and ethanol to break the emulsion. The water should be easy to determine on the diluted sample using a Karl-Fisher titration.

Hello,

I understand your frustration with trying to determine the concentration of vegetable oil in oil-water emulsions that are badly aerated and contain gas bubbles. It can certainly be a challenging task.

One possible solution to this problem could be to use chromatography. Chromatography is a technique used to separate and analyze mixtures. In this case, you could use thin-layer chromatography (TLC) to separate the components of the emulsion and determine the concentration of vegetable oil.

In TLC, a small amount of the sample is spotted onto a thin layer of absorbent material, such as silica gel or paper. The sample is then allowed to move up the layer through capillary action, with the different components of the sample separating based on their affinity for the absorbent material. This allows for the concentration of the vegetable oil to be determined by comparing the spot of the sample to known concentrations of vegetable oil.

Another option could be to use gas chromatography (GC). GC is a more advanced technique that separates and analyzes the components of a sample based on their volatility. In this case, the gas bubbles in the emulsion may actually be beneficial as they can help to separate the components of the sample. However, this method may require more specialized equipment and training to perform accurately.

I hope this helps and provides some potential solutions for your experiment. Best of luck with your research.

What is the scientific explanation for why oil and water do not mix?

Oil and water do not mix because they have different molecular structures. Oil molecules are nonpolar, meaning they do not have a positive or negative charge, while water molecules are polar, with a positive and negative end. This difference in polarity causes the molecules to repel each other, making them difficult to mix.

Why is it important to keep oil and water separate?

It is important to keep oil and water separate because oil can have harmful effects on aquatic life and the environment. When oil and water mix, it can create a layer on the surface of the water, preventing oxygen from entering and suffocating plants and animals. Additionally, oil can contain toxic substances that can harm marine life and contaminate drinking water sources.

What happens when oil and water are mixed together?

When oil and water are mixed together, they do not dissolve or form a solution. Instead, the oil will separate and form droplets within the water. This is because oil is less dense than water and will float to the top. Over time, the oil droplets may combine and form a layer on the surface, known as an oil slick.

Can oil and water ever mix together?

While oil and water do not typically mix, there are certain substances, known as emulsifiers, that can help them combine. Emulsifiers contain molecules with both polar and nonpolar ends, allowing them to connect with both oil and water molecules and create a stable mixture. Examples of emulsifiers include soap and detergents.

What are some methods for separating oil and water?

There are several methods for separating oil and water, including skimming, centrifugation, and filtration. Skimming involves using a barrier, such as a boom or absorbent material, to physically remove the oil from the water's surface. Centrifugation uses centrifugal force to separate the two substances based on their density differences. Filtration involves passing the mixture through a filter, which traps the oil while allowing the water to pass through.