Need some serious advice here or I'm in trouble(trust me)

• Thread starter solitaire
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking help with integration and has two main questions. The first is about recognizing which substitution to use in integration problems involving trigonometric identities. The second is about how to determine which integration method to use when the problem only states "evaluate the integral." The responder advises the person to practice and understand the concepts, and explains that trig substitution should be used for sin^2(x) and that exams don't specify the method to test problem solving skills.
solitaire
I have some problems with Intergration. Hope can get help in here. If I posted on wrong board, please forgive me.

My first problem is that in Integration by using Trigonometric identities, some function have more than one substitution. Like Sin(square).

SIN^2 xdx, SIN^2 can be substitude as:-

1 - COS2x/2,

and can also be substitude as :-

1 - COS^2 x

And in certain question, first substitution is used. While on others, the other substitution is use. I just want to know how can I recognise what substitution I've to use in which questions? Is there a simple to way to it?

And secondly. I don't know what's the problem with is, but in Examination Papers, the question regarding Integrations only say "Evaluate the Integral". They aren't specific about how, like they don't say "Evaluate the Integral by substitution method" or "Evaluate the Integral by Parts" or "Evaluate the Integral by Summation" etc. The way the just say "Evaluate" makes it very difficult for me to recognise which type of Integration method is required to solve the following problems, since most of them are just like each other. So if I can get some tips on how to recognise which type of Integration method is required for the certain equations, it will be quite a relief. I came here with some expectation, hope you guys can help me out alittle here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh man, you're going to hate this, but it's what I tell my students. Practice. Practice practice practice. This stuff is hard, and realizing that is the only way you're going to get better. If you don't know u-substitution and you're trying to do trig substitutions, you need to go back and practice until you understand.

On to your specific question, sin^2(x) should be evaluated using the cos(2x) substitution, because that has an elementary anti-derivative (sin(2x)/2). For all of these, the answer is: "Because it works!" If you can start viewing it like that, for instance, try to understand that the reason they introduce trig substitution is because u-substitution doesn't work for this new kind of problem. And integration-by-parts, trigonometric integrals, etc. are all introduced as means of solving problems you couldn't solve before.

Finally, the reason the exams don't tell you which method to use is because they're trying to test your ability to think and solve problems, not your ability to remember a formula. It's not a biology test.

What kind of trouble are you in?

I'm in a difficult situation and need some guidance and advice from someone who has expertise in the matter.

What is the best course of action for me to take?

It depends on the specific situation, but seeking advice from a trusted source and carefully considering all options is always a good start.

Are you willing to share more details about your situation?

I am open to sharing more information in order to receive the best advice possible. However, I also understand the need for privacy in certain situations.

Do you have any specific concerns or fears about your situation?

I am feeling very anxious and concerned about the potential consequences of my actions or inaction. I am looking for advice to help alleviate these fears.

What kind of advice are you looking for?

I am seeking guidance and recommendations on how to handle my current situation in the most effective and responsible way possible.