Direction of the normal vector

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of the normal vector in the expression for current and the use of Ampére's Law to find the magnetic field caused by a wire with a current. It is determined that the direction of the normal vector depends on the direction of the current and that Ampére's Law is similar to Gauss's Law in that it only considers the enclosed current to find the magnetic field.
Niles
Hi all

I have two questions.

1) We have the following expression for the currect:

[tex]I = \int\limits_\mc S {{\bf{J}} \cdot {\rm{d}}{\bf{a}}} [/tex]

Which way does the normalvector in da point? I think it's very crucial, because I might end up with a negative current if I don't get this right.

2) When I want to find the magnetic field a distance s from a wire, which has a current I going through it, I use Ampére's Law. But when I do this, don't I only find the magnetic field caused by a single "disk" in the wire?

Niles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am pretty sure it should be the outward facing normal.

Yes, but there's two ends, so it might go either way?

Yes... If I have a cylinder that looks like

O---------O

The normal on the left side will be pointing to the left, and the normal on the right side will be pointing to the right.

1) depends on what you consider the direction of J.
J is always the direction of the current... So J.da=J* da* cos(theta) will depend on the angle theta

2) its like gauss law..in gauss law..no matter how many charges are present outside, Electric Field on the surface depends on the charge enclosed by the surface only, right?
Similarly here B depends on Ienclosed

1. What is the normal vector?

The normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a given surface or curve at a specific point. It helps determine the direction and orientation of the surface or curve.

2. What is the purpose of finding the direction of the normal vector?

Finding the direction of the normal vector helps determine the orientation of a surface or curve, which is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications. It can also be used to calculate the slope or gradient of a surface or curve.

3. How is the direction of the normal vector determined?

The direction of the normal vector is determined by taking the cross product of two tangent vectors to the surface or curve at a given point. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both tangent vectors and will point in the direction of the normal vector.

4. What is the relationship between the normal vector and the surface or curve it is perpendicular to?

The normal vector is always perpendicular to the surface or curve it is associated with. This means that if the surface or curve changes direction, the normal vector will also change direction accordingly.

5. Can the direction of the normal vector change?

Yes, the direction of the normal vector can change depending on the orientation of the surface or curve it is associated with. It is important to keep this in mind when using the normal vector in calculations and applications.