Are there microprocessors that support Linux or Windows for controlling lights?

• Thread starter Oblio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of computers and microcontrollers in controlling a light, specifically an LED. The easiest way to connect the LED to a computer is through the parallel port, using a C or Visual Basic program. It is mentioned that Windows does not allow direct port access, but there are programs that can override this. The conversation also touches on the possibility of using PICs with operating systems like Linux or Windows, with the mention that Atmel has released MCU's that support uCLinux. However, it is noted that these MCU's may not be able to run Windows/Linux applications designed for regular X86-based machines without significant porting work.
Oblio
Hey all,

I have a few questions concerning computers for a project I'm working on... I know a significant amount of electronics but not so much on the computer end...
Anyways,

say I wanted the simple application of controling a light (an LED for example) with my computer - what's the easiest way to wire-in or attach the light?

Something else that I was wondering about, are there PICs (or something similiar) that allow you to put Linux (or heaven forbid... Windows) on a microcontroller?
The reason being, if you wanted to use software on the microcontroller that already existed on one of the two platforms.

Thanks a lot!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Windows for one does not allow direct port access.
You would need to write a device driver (not simple) or use DOS.
However, you might be able to hook a transistor and LED to the RTS line of a serial port.
The open/close commands will toggle the line.
Don't know if it can drive an LED directly, maybe.

Don't know of any PICs the have an OS, let alone Windoze or Linux.
Some PICs have C compilers. You could port if there is equivalent library support.

The easiest way to connect a "LED" to a computer is through the parallel port, simply connect it between any of the Ground pins and Data/Control pins and a simple C/Visual Basic program will do. And although NoTime is right in that Windows doesn't give direct access to user-level programs there are a couple of programs out-there that will override this and give you direct port access.

A couple a years ago the answer of your second question would be no, but Atmel has been rolling out some Windows-Embedded/Linux-supported MCU's, I believe most support uCLinux.

One last comment on your last sentence is that even though the MCU will be running Windows/Linux, it'll probably not even come close to running any Linux/Windows App working on your regular X86-Based machine, unless of-course your considering doing some serious porting jobs (if the application is open source).

1. What is a microprocessor?

A microprocessor is a small electronic device that acts as the "brain" of a computer. It is responsible for processing and executing instructions, performing calculations, and controlling the flow of data within the computer.

2. How does a microprocessor work?

A microprocessor works by receiving instructions and data from the computer's memory, processing them using its built-in arithmetic and logic units, and then sending the results back to the memory. This process happens millions of times per second, allowing the computer to perform complex tasks.

3. What is the difference between a microprocessor and a CPU?

A microprocessor is a single integrated circuit that contains all the necessary components for processing instructions, while a CPU (central processing unit) is a larger component that includes the microprocessor as well as other parts such as the cache memory and control unit.

4. What are the key components of a microprocessor?

The key components of a microprocessor include the arithmetic and logic units (ALU), control unit, registers, and bus interface. The ALU performs mathematical and logical operations, the control unit coordinates and controls the flow of data, registers store data temporarily, and the bus interface connects the microprocessor to other components.

5. How have microprocessors evolved over time?

Microprocessors have evolved significantly since their introduction in the 1970s. They have become smaller, faster, and more powerful, with the number of transistors increasing from a few thousand to billions. They have also become more energy-efficient and have opened up new possibilities for computing, such as mobile devices and artificial intelligence.