Derivative of a square root fraction.

In summary, the derivative of y = square root of (x2 / 3) + (1 + 3) - (x / 5) is (x2 / 3) - (x / 5) + 4.
dvmckay23
I need help finding the derivative of the following equation. This may look a little messy because it involves a square root and a fraction.

y = square root of: 1 + x2 / 3 + 3 - x / 5

My first thought is to change the equation to look like this:

y = (1 + x2)1/2 / 3 + 3 - x / 5

but I am not sure what the proper protocol is for finding a derivative of this kind of equation.

An example is given of a similar question:
y = square root of: 1 + x2 / 3 + 0.5 - x / 5

where the derivative is:
dy/dt = 1/6 (1 + x2)- 1/2 (2x) - 1/5
but I can't figure out where the 1/6 comes from, or the final term, 1/5.

Help please? :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
dvmckay23 said:
y = square root of: 1 + x2 / 3 + 3 - x / 5
and
y = square root of: 1 + x2 / 3 + 0.5 - x / 5

Maybe others can understand these functions, but as for me it seems that some parentheses are missing here. The way I'm reading the first expression, for example, it would simplify to become

y = square root of: (x2 / 3) + (1 + 3) - (x / 5)
= square root of: (x2 / 3) - (x / 5) + 4

But that can't be what you meant ...

Edit added:
Okay, from what is given for dy/dt, what we really have must be

[square root of (1 + x2)] / 3 + 3 - x / 5
and
[square root of (1 + x2)] / 3 + 0.5 - x / 5

At any rate, Hurkyl has given good advice here.

Last edited:
dvmckay23 said:
but I am not sure what the proper protocol is for finding a derivative of this kind of equation.
It's built entirely out of things you know how to differentiate (sums, differences, quotients, powers, constants), so I don't really understand why there's a problem. Where are you getting stuck?

Incidentally, try plugging in x = 1 and, in painstaking detail, compute the value of that expression. (Show all 7 steps, one at a time! No skipping. You may use decimal approximations and/or a calculator. I think there are 7 of them; I might be off by 1 or 2)

You do exactly the same steps in computing the derivative (possibly in reverse order, depending on how you actually think about such things) -- you just use the differentiation rules instead of the arithmetic rules.

Last edited:

1. What is the derivative of a square root fraction?

The derivative of a square root fraction is the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and then dividing the two.

2. How do you find the derivative of a square root fraction?

To find the derivative of a square root fraction, use the quotient rule. First, find the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately. Then, divide the two derivatives and simplify the result.

3. Can the derivative of a square root fraction be simplified?

Yes, the derivative of a square root fraction can be simplified by using algebraic simplification methods such as factoring or distributing. It is important to simplify the derivative as much as possible for a more concise solution.

4. What is the purpose of finding the derivative of a square root fraction?

The purpose of finding the derivative of a square root fraction is to determine the rate of change of the function at a specific point. This can be useful in many applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Are there any special rules for finding the derivative of a square root fraction?

Yes, there are special rules for finding the derivative of a square root fraction. These include the chain rule, which is used when the variable inside the square root is a function, and the product or quotient rule, which is used when the square root is multiplied or divided by another function.