How to calculate rate of tank pressure change

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a particular problem in their Aerodynamics course. The problem involves calculating the rate at which pressure is rising in a tank when air is being pumped into it at a constant temperature. The conversation includes discussion of relevant equations and units, and ultimately the correct answer is determined to be 28.24 lb/ft^2/sec.
Alfredo78
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and after doing a basic search I wasn't able to find anything that would help me with a particular problem. I'm taking an online Aerodynamics course with Embry-Riddle and I can't figure out how to solve the following:

Homework Statement

If air is being pumped into a 10 ft^3 tank at a rate of 0.01 lbm/sec, and the tank temperature is being held constant at 70 F. How fast (lb/ft^2/sec) is the pressure in the tank rising?

Homework Equations

Equation of state (pressure = density*specific gas constant*temperature)
dp/dt=dM/dt * RT/V (or something like that)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get things going by solving for pressure with standard sea-level density then finding the mass (mass= density*volume) but...then I just get lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Al

Physics news on Phys.org
Alfredo78 said:
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and after doing a basic search I wasn't able to find anything that would help me with a particular problem. I'm taking an online Aerodynamics course with Embry-Riddle and I can't figure out how to solve the following:

Homework Statement

If air is being pumped into a 10 ft^3 tank at a rate of 0.01 lbm/sec, and the tank temperature is being held constant at 70 F. How fast (lb/ft^2/sec) is the pressure in the tank rising?

Homework Equations

Equation of state (pressure = density*specific gas constant*temperature)
dp/dt=dM/dt * RT/V (or something like that)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get things going by solving for pressure with standard sea-level density then finding the mass (mass= density*volume) but...then I just get lost.

It looks like you are on the right track.

PV = NRT

V and T are being held constant. R is a constant so all you need to translate is the rate that Pressure changes (dP/dt time not temp) consistent with the change in lbs of air / sec. You need to relate the given change in lbs of air to the change in N which is the number of moles of air to satisfy the ideal Gas Law.

This yields your dP/dt = dN/dt * RT/V

Make sure your units are correct.

So...If 0.01 is my mass rate of change...

P=NRT= (2.3769*10^-3)(1716)(530)=2161.74

and Mass= density*volume = 2.3769*10^-2 slugs * 10ft^3

multiplied by weight of air, 32.2=.765 lbm

then multiplied by mass rate of change .01 lbm/sec = .00765 lbm/sec

then...

dp/dt=dN/dt*RT/V = 0.00765 * (1716)(530)/10= 695.75?

I feel like I'm missing something:confused:

Alfredo78 said:
So...If 0.01 is my mass rate of change...

P=NRT= (2.3769*10^-3)(1716)(530)=2161.74

and Mass= density*volume = 2.3769*10^-2 slugs * 10ft^3

multiplied by weight of air, 32.2=.765 lbm

then multiplied by mass rate of change .01 lbm/sec = .00765 lbm/sec

then...

dp/dt=dN/dt*RT/V = 0.00765 * (1716)(530)/10= 695.75?

I feel like I'm missing something:confused:

Careful. I don't think density is quite the right approach. I'd suggest focusing on the rate of change of mass. What you are looking for is Moles to satisfy the Perfect Gas Law equation. What you are given is mass as a rate of change. Convert mass to moles. I believe that it is the rate of change of moles that gives you your rate of change of Pressure scaled by the effect of the other constants in the relation.

Perhaps this helps:
WikiPedia said:
The mean molar mass of air is 28.97 g/mol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_atmosphere

Of course that's grams per Mole, but you can convert.

Last edited:
Also at the same link I see:

R = 53.34 ft·lbf·°R−1·lbm−1 (for air)

LowlyPion said:
Also at the same link I see:

Thanks for the help! I finally figured it out. The answer is 28.24 lb/ft^2/sec!

Alfredo78 said:
Thanks for the help! I finally figured it out. The answer is 28.24 lb/ft^2/sec!

I didn't calculate anything. I will defer to your arithmetic.

Hopefully, so will your grader.

Cheers.

1. How do I calculate the rate of tank pressure change?

The rate of tank pressure change can be calculated by dividing the difference in pressure by the change in time. This can be expressed as: Rate of Pressure Change = (Final Pressure - Initial Pressure) / Time.

2. What are the units of measurement for the rate of tank pressure change?

The units of measurement for the rate of tank pressure change can vary depending on the units used for pressure and time. For example, if pressure is measured in Pascals and time in seconds, the rate of pressure change would be in Pascals per second (Pa/s).

3. Is the rate of tank pressure change constant?

No, the rate of tank pressure change is not always constant. It can vary depending on factors such as the size of the tank, temperature, and the amount of gas or liquid inside the tank.

4. Can the rate of tank pressure change be negative?

Yes, the rate of tank pressure change can be negative. This would occur when the pressure inside the tank decreases over time.

5. How can the rate of tank pressure change be used in real-world applications?

The rate of tank pressure change can be used in various industries such as chemical, oil and gas, and pharmaceuticals to monitor and control pressure levels in tanks. It can also be used in scuba diving to track the rate at which air is consumed from a tank.