Quantum Computing - good, active field?

In summary: However, a lot of the theory you'll see in those classes won't be directly applicable to quantum computing.
Dragonfall
Quantum Computing -- good, active field?

I had the chance of working in the summer on quantum cryptography. Unfortunately I was rather isolated so I didn't get a good sense of the scope of the field. Now I want to specialize in it, but I fear it might lead to a dead field. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey Dragonfall,

I'm also thinking about getting into quantum computing (theory), and as far as I can tell it's a smaller field than most (in terms of both people & funding). As it is, CS theory in general is rather underfunded as compared to most fields in physics. Barring some breakthrough it's likely to stay that way for a while. However, there are a ton of unanswered fundamental questions since it's a rather new field. If you want to get a sense of where the field is you could check out the bigger quantum computing groups @ Berkeley, MIT, UCSB, UW, and the Perimeter Institute to name a few. http://scottaaronson.com/blog/" also has a lot of information on the state of things in the quantum computing world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks. But how does one prepare for quantum computation? The only related class here is "quantum cryptography". Should I take some quantum physics class from physics department?

Well, it depends on your background. The book Quantum Computer Science by Mermin is a good intro to the subject written for people with a CS background. Taking quantum mechanics classes certainly won't hurt (I would even recommend it!), but most of the material you'll see won't be very relevant to quantum computing. You won't be diagonalizing too many Hamiltonians if you work in quantum computing (however knowing why you'd want to is still important).

I'd say the most relevant undergrad classes would probably be normal CS theory courses like complexity theory and cryptography as well as certain math courses like advanced linear algebra, combinatorics, and probability.

1. What is quantum computing and how does it differ from classical computing?

Quantum computing is a type of computing that utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics to process and store information. Unlike classical computing, which uses bits to store and process data, quantum computing uses quantum bits or qubits, which can exist in multiple states at once and can perform multiple calculations simultaneously. This allows quantum computers to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers.

2. What are the potential applications of quantum computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to revolutionize many industries, including finance, healthcare, and cybersecurity. It can be used for complex simulations, optimization problems, and cryptography. It can also advance artificial intelligence and machine learning by processing vast amounts of data at a faster rate.

3. How does quantum computing work?

Quantum computing uses the principles of superposition and entanglement to manipulate and store information. Superposition allows qubits to exist in multiple states at once, while entanglement links the states of multiple qubits, allowing them to be processed together. Specialized algorithms are used to perform calculations on these qubits, and the results are measured at the end of the computation.

4. What are the challenges in developing quantum computers?

One of the main challenges in developing quantum computers is maintaining the fragile state of qubits. Any external interference can cause the qubits to decohere, resulting in errors in the computation. Another challenge is scaling up the number of qubits and maintaining their coherence, as this becomes increasingly difficult as more qubits are added. Additionally, finding and correcting errors in the computation is a major obstacle in the development of quantum computers.

5. Is quantum computing accessible to everyone?

At the current stage of development, quantum computing is not accessible to everyone. The technology is still in its early stages, and quantum computers are extremely expensive and difficult to build and maintain. However, as research and development continue, it is expected that quantum computers will become more accessible and affordable in the future.