Instantaneous and average velocity help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the instantaneous velocity and average velocity of an object moving horizontally according to the equation s(t)=t3-2t2-5t+6. Using the definition of a derivative at a point, the instantaneous velocity at t0=1 second is determined to be -6. For the average velocity from t=0 to t=2, the correct calculation is (s(t2)-s(t1))/(t2-t1), resulting in an average velocity of -5.
showtimeballa
vAn objects moves horizontally according to the following equation s(t)=t3-2t2-5t+6. Determine the instantaneous velocity of the object at t0=1 second using the definition of a derivative at a point.

v'(t)= lim (s(t0+h)-s(t0))/h
h-->0

And
What is the average velocity of the object from t=0 to t=2?
Average velocity= (s(t2)-s(t1))/(t2-t1)

For the first one, i got:
((1+h)3-2(1+h)2-5(1+h)+6-13-2(1)2-5(1)+6)/h

I expanded and factored all of that ang got (h(-1+h+h2)/h then i plugged in 0 for h and got -1 as the instantaneous velocity... is that correct?

I got the first one... i just added the values wrong... i got -6. But i still don't know how to do the second one.

and for the second one, i have (3(2)2-4(2)-5)/2-0 but that makes it 0/2 and i know that this can't be.

Can you please help me?thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the second part, it looks like you used the derivative of s (i.e. the velocity) in the numerator. You should use s itself (i.e. plug t1 and t2 into s(t) for the numerator) as in the definition of average velocity.

Pacopag said:
For the second part, it looks like you used the derivative of s (i.e. the velocity) in the numerator. You should use s itself (i.e. plug t1 and t2 into s(t) for the numerator) as in the definition of average velocity.

so it should just be (-4-0)/(2-0)=-1/2?

I think so. No. Wait a minute. Check it again. I think your t1 part is wrong. Just check it over carefully.

wait wouldn't it be -5 for the average velocity instead?

Yeah. That's what I get.

thank you!

1. What is the difference between instantaneous and average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity refers to the velocity at a specific moment in time, while average velocity refers to the overall velocity over a given period of time.

2. How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

Instantaneous velocity is calculated by taking the derivative of the position-time graph at a specific point in time.

3. How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken.

4. Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position.

5. Is average velocity always equal to instantaneous velocity?

No, average velocity and instantaneous velocity can only be equal if the object is moving at a constant velocity throughout the entire time period.