What are Incoming and Outgoing Servers for Using MS Outlook?

• Thread starter Pattielli
  • Start date
In summary, to use MS Outlook to send emails, you will need to enter the incoming and outgoing servers provided by your ISP, as well as a logon name and password. You can find this information by contacting your ISP or checking their website. The format for the servers can either be a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) or an IP address.
Pattielli
I would like to use MS Outlook to send emails but it asks me to enter incoming and outcoming servers which I actually have no ideas about. Would you please tell me what they are ? How can I use Ootlook to write and send mails to my friends ?

Thank you,

Computer science news on Phys.org
Incoming server will be your POP3 (Post Office Protocol) server assigned by your ISP and outgoing will be your SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) assigned by your ISP.

You will also need a logon name and pass… again assigned by your ISP.

Call them and ask for those 4 things and you will be set. Or hit their website. Most of the time ISPs will list their POP3 and SMTP server addresses on their web site.

The format you are looking for will either be an FQDN (mail.yourisp.com) or an IP address (24.108.182.55 for example)

HTH

This is what you type

Incoming: mail.yourISPname.net
Outgoing: mail.yourISPname.net

Thank you , I see it now...:sm:

1. What is an incoming server?

An incoming server is a computer or software that receives data or messages from another device or server. In the context of email, an incoming server is responsible for receiving and storing emails sent to a particular email address.

2. What is an outgoing server?

An outgoing server, also known as an SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) server, is responsible for sending emails from an email client to the recipient's email server. It acts as a relay between the sender and the recipient's server to ensure the email is delivered successfully.

3. Why do I need to know my incoming and outgoing server information?

Knowing your incoming and outgoing server information is necessary for setting up and accessing your email account. Without this information, your email client will not be able to communicate with the email server, and you will not be able to send or receive emails.

4. How do I find my incoming and outgoing server information?

Your email service provider should provide you with the necessary incoming and outgoing server information when you create your email account. You can usually find this information in the account settings or by contacting your email provider's customer support.

5. Can I use different incoming and outgoing servers for my email account?

Yes, you can use different incoming and outgoing servers for your email account. This is common for users who have multiple email accounts from different providers and want to access them all from one email client. However, you will need to ensure that the server information is correctly entered for each account in your email client's settings.